Momentum Conservation: How to Reconcile a Negative Value?

In summary, in the given conversation, the participants discuss the conservation of momentum in a problem where the momentum before firing is equal to the momentum after firing. They note that the momentum and velocity are vector quantities and that the velocities are in opposite directions, resulting in one of them being negative. They also mention the importance of keeping track of units and using vector drawings in mechanics problems. One participant initially assigns a direction to an unknown vector, but realizes that the actual direction is opposite when the magnitude of the momentum turns out to be negative after the calculation. This method is similar to how one assigns a direction to current in circuit analysis.
Shaye
Homework Statement
A canon fires a cannonball of mass 55kg at 35ms^-1. The cannon recoils at 2.5 ms^-1.

What is the mass of the cannon?
Relevant Equations
p=mv
Maybe a silly question but on the above question using the conservation of momentum:

momentum before firing (0) = momentum after firing (55*35)+(M*2.5)

If I re-range the above it's M = -(55*35)/2.5 = -770kg. I can I reconcile that minus sign (basically get rid of it)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum and velocity are vector quantities. The velocities are in opposite directions so one of them is negative.

Likes Shaye
It wasn't the question that was silly: it was having the cannon recoil in the same direction as the cannonball!

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50, kuruman, berkeman and 2 others
With these kinds of mechanics problems, making a vector drawing is really useful for keeping track of your signs ... also remember units.

Likes Shaye
Thanks everyone! A DOH! moment for me. Keeping track of the vectors is very useful

Likes Mayhem and PeroK
Shaye said:
I can I reconcile that minus sign (basically get rid of it)?
Actually the question is not silly in my opinion, yes there is a way to reconcile the negative sign without fudging the answer and I think @Shaye will profit from seeing how.

In mechanics problems, one often assigns a direction to an unknown vector and a symbol to its magnitude, goes through the calculations and if the magnitude turns out negative, then the actual direction is opposite to the initially assigned direction. The same method is famously used in circuit analysis when one assigns a direction to the current in a given loop, goes through the calculations and, if said current turns out negative, it actually flows in the opposite direction.

Here we have exactly the same principle at work. @Shaye chose the recoil momentum to be in the same direction as the cannonball, the magnitude of the momentum came out negative after the calculation, therefore ##\dots##

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Shaye

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does momentum conservation apply to negative values?

In some cases, the momentum of an object may be negative, which means it is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. In this case, the negative value still follows the law of momentum conservation, as the total momentum of the system will remain constant.

3. How do we reconcile a negative value in momentum conservation?

To reconcile a negative value in momentum conservation, we must consider the direction of the momentum and use the appropriate sign (+ or -) in calculations. It is important to remember that the negative value still contributes to the total momentum of the system.

4. Can a negative value in momentum conservation be changed?

No, a negative value in momentum conservation cannot be changed. It is a result of the direction of the momentum and follows the law of conservation. However, the magnitude of the momentum can be changed by external forces.

5. What are some real-life examples of negative values in momentum conservation?

One example is a car moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. Another example is a rocket launching into space, where the momentum of the rocket is negative in relation to the Earth's surface. In both cases, the negative value still follows the law of momentum conservation.