Momentum of alpha particles

For a particle of mass ##m## moving at speed ##v##, the kinetic energy is ##K=(1/2)mv^2##. Use this to write an equation for the total kinetic energy of the system of the ##\alpha## particle and the target atom before the collision.Now, use the fact that the total kinetic energy is constant to write an equation for the kinetic energy of the system after the collision.In summary, the conversation discusses collisions between fast moving alpha particles and gas atoms in a cloud chamber. The velocities and angles of the scattered alpha particles and recoiling gas atoms are given, and the goal is to show that 2vcos(θ+φ)=(1-M/m)V. The discussion involves using
GayYoda

Homework Statement

Fast moving α particles of mass m make collisions in a cloud chamber with gas atoms of mass M and negligible initial velocity. After a collision, the velocities of the scattered α particles and the recoiling gas atoms are v and V respectively, the former being inclined at an angle θ and the latter at an angle φ to the original α particle direction
show that 2vcos(θ+φ)=(1-M/m)V

Homework Equations

p=mv
cos(θ+φ)=cos(θ)cos(φ)-sin(θ)sin(φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Resolving horizontally i got [1] ∑p = mvcos(θ)+MVcos(φ) and vertically i got [2] mvsin(θ)-MVsin(φ). i squared both equations and added them together to get m^2v^2+M^2V^2+2mvMVcos(θ+φ)=(Σp)^2. I'm not sure how to work out the initial velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anything in addition to conservation of momentum that you can use?

Likes GayYoda
Energy of the system?

GayYoda said:
Energy of the system?

Yes, conservation of energy.

how do i apply energy ?

GayYoda said:
how do i apply energy ?

First, I think it would be simpler if you used a symbol for the initial speed of the ##\alpha## particle: ##u## seems a good choice to me.

Second, you must the formula for the kinetic energy of a particle.

1. What is the momentum of alpha particles?

The momentum of alpha particles is a measure of its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by its velocity.

2. How does the momentum of alpha particles affect their behavior?

The momentum of alpha particles determines how they interact with other particles and objects. It affects their trajectory, scattering patterns, and ability to penetrate through materials.

3. Can the momentum of alpha particles be changed?

Yes, the momentum of alpha particles can be changed by altering their velocity or mass. This can be achieved through various methods such as acceleration, deceleration, or collisions with other particles.

4. How is the momentum of alpha particles measured?

The momentum of alpha particles can be measured using a variety of techniques, including tracking their path through a magnetic field, analyzing their scattering patterns, or calculating their kinetic energy.

5. What is the importance of understanding the momentum of alpha particles?

Understanding the momentum of alpha particles is crucial in fields such as nuclear physics, radiation therapy, and space exploration. It allows scientists to predict and control the behavior of these particles and their effects on the environment.