More power series: 2nd-order ODE

In summary, the differential equation y'' - 2xy' + 4y = 0 has a recursion relationship that a(n+2) = 2a_n(n-2)/(n+2)(n+1). Once you know a(n+2), you can find a(n-4), a(n-6), etc. using the relation.
Luminous Blob
I felt pretty chuffed after getting the power series solution for a simple first-order ODE (with MathNerd's help) and thought I'd have a go at solving a second-order ODE using the same method. Then I realized I didn't understand it as well as I'd thought...

The differential I'm attempting to find the power series solution for is:

[tex]y'' - 2xy' + 4y = 0[/tex]

My attempt at a solution:

[tex] y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n [/tex]
[tex]y\'\; = \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} [/tex]
[tex]y'' = \sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}
[/tex]

substituting into the equation and shifting indices, etc. :

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2} -2x\sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} + 4\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^{n}-\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2na_nx^{n} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty 4a_nx^n = 0 [/tex]

[tex]4a_0 + 2a_2 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^{n}-\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2na_nx^{n} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty 4a_nx^n = 0 [/tex]

then

[tex]4a_0 +2a_2 = 0[/tex]

and

[tex](n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - 2na_n + 4a_n = 0[/tex]

the recursion relationship is:

[tex]a_{n+2} = 2a_n(n-2)/(n+2)(n+1) [/tex]

Can anyone tell me:

i) if my recursion relationship is correct

and

ii) if so, how on Earth do you get from there to the answer of:

[tex] y = c_1(1 - 2x^2) + c_2(x-x^3/3 + ...) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let c(1) =a(0), then you can find a(2) in terms of c(1), a(4) must then be zero by the relation, and hence so must all the other even terms.
now let c(2)=a(1), work out what a(3), a(5) etc are and see if you can prove a general rule about it, things ought to cancel out. alternatively you could look up somewhere how to solve recurrence relations ; they behave like differential equations but aren't taught anywhere near as well in school, if at all.

matt grime said:
work out what a(3), a(5) etc are and see if you can prove a general rule about it

That's the part I'm having trouble with :)

what do you think the general rule is, have you written down the first few terms and seen why the pattern develops the way it does? there are lots of cancellations, use the relation to write a(n+2) in terms of a(n-2), then a(n-4) then a(n-6)... etc

Related to More power series: 2nd-order ODE

1. What is a second-order ODE?

A second-order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It involves the second derivative of the function, and may also include the first derivative and the function itself.

2. How is a second-order ODE different from a first-order ODE?

The main difference between a second-order ODE and a first-order ODE is the number of derivatives involved. A second-order ODE involves the second derivative, while a first-order ODE only involves the first derivative.

3. What are power series in relation to second-order ODEs?

In the context of second-order ODEs, power series refer to a series of terms involving the unknown function and its derivatives, with the coefficients of each term being determined by the values of the derivatives at a specific point. They are often used to approximate solutions to second-order ODEs.

4. How are power series used to solve second-order ODEs?

To solve a second-order ODE using power series, we first express the unknown function as a series of terms involving its derivatives. Then, we substitute this series into the ODE and use algebraic manipulation to determine the coefficients of each term. This results in a solution in the form of a power series, which can be used to approximate the actual solution to the ODE.

5. What are some real-world applications of second-order ODEs and power series?

Second-order ODEs and power series have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces, in chemistry to describe the rates of chemical reactions, and in engineering to design and analyze mechanical systems. They are also used in economics, biology, and many other fields.