MOSFET Questions: Find VG, R2 & Vs

• Thread starter CKaiL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of VG and R2, as well as Vs, in a circuit. The conversation also mentions the use of equations such as R = V/I and Id = Kn(Vgs - Vth)^2. The speaker suggests starting with finding Vs and confirms that the calculation for Vs is correct. They also discuss the flow of current in the circuit and how the body effect of the MOSFET may affect the circuit. In the end, the speaker provides helpful tips and suggests different approaches to solving the problem.
CKaiL

Homework Statement

2wdx2eh.jpg

Questions ask me to find the value of VG and R2 as well as Vs

Homework Equations

R = V/I
Id = Kn(Vgs - Vth)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Before i find VG and R2 , I would like to find Vs first.
Vs = R*I where R= 1k ohm and I = 1mA ? hence , Vs = 1V
Is it correct for Vs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vs would be a sensible place to start. Your calculation is correct. I'm not sure why you are having doubts.

You do seem to have assumed that IS = ID. If you are not confident about that assumption, ask yourself where the current ID can go. It is, after all, a flow of electric charge, so what goes into the MOSFET must come out. And where can it go? Let's think about the gate current first. Remember that the O in MOSFET stands for oxide: the insulating layer of silicon dioxide. How much current flows through an insulating layer? So where does that leave for ID to go?

Apparently we are supposed to answer questions this way, not just doing your homework for you. But I presume your next step will be to work out Vgs by plugging the numbers straight into the second equation, won't it? :wink: And that should tell you the current through R1.

And, using your conclusion about the gate current, you should be able to work out the current through R2 without needing a calculator... and thus the value of R1.

Alternatively, using your conclusion about the gate current, you could treat R1 and R2 as a potential divider - you may have derived a formula for this in your lessons. It's the same idea but just means you don't have to work out the currents explicitly. For instance if the required voltage at the junction of R1 and R2 were 4.5V (it's not) then R2 would have to be 9 times R1.

Is that helpful or did you have a different difficulty?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am confused when I saw the question stating that there is no body effect. What does it do and how will it affect the circuit? If there is body effect and there isn't

The body effect is about how the MOSFET itself works and makes the body of the MOSFET act like a second gate, squeezing or opening the channel according to the voltage on it. As the body is internally connected and there is no external connection to it and you've said there is no body effect and you've quoted the device characteristic to be Id = Kn(Vgs - Vth)^2 it seems reasonable to forget about it. It would have the effect of altering Vth and generally mucking the characteristic up. It would also require Vbody to be included in the characteristic! But I do wonder - if you have studied the operation of the MOSFET and the question sees fit to talk about body effect, where did the characteristic come from? It's only an approximation - a very good one with some devices, a pretty bad one with others.

Related to MOSFET Questions: Find VG, R2 & Vs

1. How do I calculate the gate-to-source voltage (VG) of a MOSFET?

The gate-to-source voltage (VG) of a MOSFET can be calculated using the following formula: VG = VGS - Vth, where VGS is the gate-to-source voltage and Vth is the threshold voltage of the MOSFET.

2. What is the purpose of the second resistor (R2) in a MOSFET circuit?

The second resistor (R2) in a MOSFET circuit is used to control the current flowing through the MOSFET. It acts as a load resistor and helps to stabilize the output voltage of the circuit.

3. How do I find the value of R2 in a MOSFET circuit?

The value of R2 in a MOSFET circuit can be calculated using the following formula: R2 = (VDD - VGS) / ID, where VDD is the supply voltage, VGS is the gate-to-source voltage, and ID is the drain current.

4. What is the drain-to-source voltage (Vs) in a MOSFET circuit?

The drain-to-source voltage (Vs) in a MOSFET circuit is the voltage difference between the drain and source terminals of the MOSFET. It is used to control the output current of the circuit.

5. How does the gate-to-source voltage (VG) affect the performance of a MOSFET?

The gate-to-source voltage (VG) directly affects the conductivity of the MOSFET channel. A higher VG results in a larger channel, allowing for more current to flow through the MOSFET. This means that the output voltage and current of the circuit can be controlled by adjusting the VG.