Mosquito Bites: Is There a Problem?

• Thread starter Jujubee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two individuals who were bitten by mosquitoes, with one experiencing more severe symptoms than the other. The person with more severe symptoms has had this reaction since birth and it is believed to be due to an allergy to the anti-coagulant injected by mosquitoes when biting. It is suggested that this is a normal reaction and does not require immediate medical attention.
Jujubee
We have a friend who unfortunately got stung by some mosquitoes right in his room two nights ago while his window was kept open. I also got some "bites" from them. Strangely, all of the areas where he was stung still swelled, hot, red and speaded around a little, whereas all of ours have become milder and some have disappeared already.
He tells us that it is actually normal and those red bites will go away soon tomorrow, because it has always been late like that since he was born.
Do you think his blood has some problem that needs to be checked out at once ?

thanks a lot in advance

Biology news on Phys.org
He's probably just allergic to the bites. When a mosquito bites, they "inject" an anti-coagulant to facilitate drinking your blood, which is the cause of the itching you'll feel after getting bitten. I suppose if someone were especially allergic to the protein that acts as the anticoagulant, they might have more persistent swelling or itching at the site of a bite.

Thank you, :biggrin:
But is it good or bad anyway ?

1. What diseases can be transmitted through mosquito bites?

Mosquitoes can transmit a variety of diseases including malaria, dengue fever, Zika virus, and West Nile virus. These diseases can have serious health consequences, so it is important to take precautions to prevent mosquito bites.

2. How do I know if I have been bitten by a mosquito?

Mosquito bites typically appear as small, itchy bumps on the skin. They may also cause redness and swelling. If you notice these symptoms after spending time outdoors, it is likely that you have been bitten by a mosquito.

3. Is there a difference between mosquito bites and other insect bites?

While mosquito bites may look similar to other insect bites, they are caused by a different type of insect and may have different symptoms. Mosquito bites tend to be more itchy and can spread diseases, whereas other insect bites may cause pain or allergic reactions.

4. Can mosquito bites be dangerous?

Mosquito bites can be dangerous if they transmit a disease. In some cases, these diseases can be life-threatening. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms after being bitten by a mosquito, especially if you have recently traveled to an area with a high risk of mosquito-borne diseases.

5. How can I prevent mosquito bites?

The best way to prevent mosquito bites is to avoid being outdoors during peak mosquito activity, usually at dawn and dusk. When outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, use insect repellent, and eliminate standing water around your home where mosquitoes can breed. Additionally, make sure to keep screens on windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.