Most common computer interface errors

In summary, people make mistakes when they try to use computer interfaces. The most common error is clicking on the wrong "x" and unintentionally closing a window. Other errors include getting a modal dialog box popup just as they click on a window, touch screen interface on a computer (and many phones), and errors by touching the wrong section of the screen.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What's the most common error in using computer interfaces?

The most common computer interface error that I make is clicking on the wrong "x" and unintentionally closing a window. I blame this on the fact that window managers use the same style of decoration for all windows, so all the "x"'s look alike. Also, in Firefox, the icons along the top that indicate open web pages have a little "x" in them. It's easy to click on the "x" accidentally.

I don't use my cell phone as a computer. If I did, I'd probably have a long list of interface errors to report.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The errors I most encounter is a spellchecker fixing something that wasn't broken the moment I send a message.

Another is getting a modal dialog box popup just as I click on a window. The window might get focus and hide the modal dialog but you can't do anything until you respond to modal dialog.

Likes davenn, OCR and Klystron
With touchscreen interface on a computer (and many phones), I often encounter errors by touching the wrong section of the screen. There are many causes including slow or delayed information updates.

For example while reading my morning news, I intend to touch the the first story on a list of articles displayed mid-screen. In the interval before my finger touches the screen the page updates or completes loading and an unintended article appears. Not only tiresome but that mistake counts against allotted free articles for non-subscribers.

I cannot count the number of times my finger taps on 'Send' by mistake as I edit a message, particularly on smaller screens. Touchscreen interfaces on displays in moving vehicles are particularly error prone. I participated in early touch screen experiments on aircraft cockpit displays. Experiment results might frighten sensitive PF readers, though not as alarming as track-ball interface :cool:.

Likes sysprog and jedishrfu
What pisses me off about computers is that they always do exactly what I tell them to do, not what I want them to do. Damned insensitive, literal-minded machines !

• Haha
Likes davenn, OCR, dlgoff and 2 others
Kind of reminds you of the djinn of the Arabian Nights:

One of my favorite movies.

From Joseph Campbell:
Computers are like old testiment gods; lots of rules and no mercy.

Likes sysprog, jedishrfu, Klystron and 1 other person
Excessive latency in response to human input (especially tactile inputs). Any OS (cell phone, gas pump, oven...) needs to acknowledge and que inputs quickly and with high priority for lots of reasons; not the least of which is to keep from confusing or annoying the creature with the credit card.

Likes sysprog
So many issues, so little time to type them all up... :smile:

Here are a couple on my Droid phone...
  • In the camera gallery, the little bitty buttons for "Forward Image" and "Delete Image" were placed right next to each other by some rocket scientist who did the coding and layout (sorry, no offense meant to real rocket scientists). This resulted in way too many accidental deletions when trying to email one-of-a-kind photos of test setups to myself at work, so I could paste the photos into reports I was working on... In the latest update of the Droid phone software, they now have added a 15 second pop-up after pressing the Delete button that offers an "Undo" option. Guess this has been bothering a lot of other Droid phone users too... :smile:

• There really needs to be a short "dead time" added to when the screen updates before the buttons on it can be clicked. Too many times, I click a button to go to another screen, and with the variable delay sometimes I re-click it in case it didn't recognize my first finger click. But if the screen updates a few nanoseconds before I try to re-click, whatever new button that has appeared in that new window under the old button position records a click, and that can lead to pretty random (and frustrating) behavior...
Lordy! o0)

EDIT/UPDATE -- I see now that @Klystron already posted about the screen switcheroo problem with touchscreens... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes sysprog and Klystron
phinds said:
What pisses me off about computers is that they always do exactly what I tell them to do, not what I want them to do. Damned insensitive, literal-minded machines !
I figured you knew about the DWIT (Do What I Think) command. :devil:

Likes sysprog and BillTre
dlgoff said:
I figured you knew about the DWIT (Do What I Think) command. :devil:
Computer keeps telling me that's the dimwit command. It hates me.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Klystron, berkeman and 2 others
Stephen Tashi said:
What's the most common error in using computer interfaces?
TRYING to use (or not trigger) a touch screen on a tablet or phone!

Windows apps grab the focus way, way, way too much. I can't tell you how often I was writing in one app, hit return at the same time another app puts up a dialog box, and I discover I've just accepted some default action.

Whoever designed this should be covered in honey and staked to an anthill.

Likes Bystander, phinds, berkeman and 1 other person
I hardly use windows (only for job), but it does this to me all the time. Typing away at something and windows decides it is so important to pop something up with no warning that it butts in without warning and I loss the last few words I was typing.
I guess grabbing the focus is a good description of it.
I call it obnoxious, rude, and intrusive. Not a very polite OS.
That along with way too many hand movements to do simple functions (like shutting down) are my main windows gripes.

BillTre said:
I guess grabbing the focus is a good description of it.
No, it's the EXACT description of it (in technical terms) **. Happens to me all the time as well. Probably the worse offender for me is Windows Outlook's reminder popup. I tend to put a lot of reminders in Outlook and then defer them for an hour or two and if I'm typing when that windows grabs the focus again, my typing just goes right into that window instead of where I was typing it. VERY annoying.

** Actually, the exact technical term is slightly more polite: "takes the focus"

Likes BillTre

1. What are the most common computer interface errors?

The most common computer interface errors include frozen screens, unresponsive buttons or keys, slow performance, connectivity issues, and error messages.

2. How do I fix a frozen screen on my computer?

To fix a frozen screen, try restarting your computer, closing any unresponsive programs, or using keyboard shortcuts to force quit the program. You can also check for any updates or run a virus scan to ensure there are no underlying issues causing the freezing.

3. How can I improve the performance of my computer interface?

To improve performance, you can try closing any unnecessary programs or processes, clearing your browser cache, freeing up storage space, and updating your operating system and drivers. You can also consider upgrading your hardware if your computer is outdated.

4. Why is my computer not connecting to the internet?

There could be several reasons why your computer is not connecting to the internet, such as connectivity issues with your router or modem, incorrect network settings, or a faulty network adapter. Troubleshooting steps include restarting your router, checking your network settings, and updating your network adapter drivers.

5. What should I do if I receive an error message on my computer interface?

If you receive an error message, try reading it carefully to determine what the issue may be. You can also try searching for the error message online for potential solutions. If the error persists, you may need to seek help from a technical support team or try reinstalling the program that is causing the error.