Receive a certificate error in Internet Exp 11

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with accessing sbcglobal.net email through Internet Explorer. The desktop computer is giving a certificate error, but the other computers on the same network are working fine. The conversation suggests that the security certificate may have failed and the solution to the problem is to restart the computer or make changes to the browser's settings. It is also mentioned that the website may have been hijacked and could potentially contain viruses.
yungman
I use Internet Explorer to get into my sbcglobal.net email. It has been working fine all these years. All of a sudden, my desktop gives me Certificate error when I click the "Mail" in Yahoo page. The message is:

Security certificate presented by the website has expired or not yet valid.

Security certificate problem may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept data sent to the server.

My other computers work fine on the same network. What is the possible problem? Please help.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Those are valid security messages. Maybe your other computers have relaxed internet security.

Svein said:
Those are valid security messages. Maybe your other computers have relaxed internet security.

But even yesterday, the desktop worked fine. Just all of a sudden this morning I got this message. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Consider that the security certificate has failed in the interim. A useful browser's error will give some options and reasons for the certificate failure. As a matter of fact, I just tried to visit sbcglobal.net to see that its IP has been hijacked.

yungman said:
But even yesterday, the desktop worked fine. Just all of a sudden this morning I got this message. What can I do to fix it?
Thanks
More than likely, your other computers have the message turned off in their IE settings. You can make the message not appear in IE but then you won't have any warning when a website is using a fake certificate. However, "Fixing it" isn't what you should do. You should be more concerned that your other computers aren't warning you.

If I read Doug Huffman's last post correctly, your browser is warning you (like it should) that the site has been hijacked. Hijacked sites usually have viruses so if you want to install yet another virus on your computer, turn off the warning and have a nice visit to 'sbcglobal.net'.

You can make Internet Explorer behave like older versions, (compatibility mode) , to view websites which are incompatible with the latest version of Internet Explorer ...

2665906.png

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2536204

B0b-A said:
You can make Internet Explorer behave like older versions, (compatibility mode) , to view websites which are incompatible with the latest version of Internet Explorer
LOL Or use an user-agent switcher.

Thanks guys. Problem solved. Here I was thinking, reading and asking. My wife just restarted the computer and it's all good!

thanks

What is a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11?

A certificate error in Internet Explorer 11 is an indication that the browser is unable to verify the authenticity of a website's security certificate. This can happen for various reasons, such as an expired or invalid certificate, a mismatch between the website's domain and the certificate's domain, or a problem with the certificate's issuer.

Why do I receive a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11?

You may receive a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11 due to several reasons. It could be because the website's security certificate has expired or is not valid, the certificate's issuer is not trusted by your browser, or there is a mismatch between the website's domain and the certificate's domain.

Is it safe to proceed to a website with a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11?

It is not recommended to proceed to a website with a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11. Certificate errors typically indicate that the website's security cannot be fully verified, which could potentially put your personal information at risk. It is best to avoid accessing the website until the certificate error is resolved.

How can I fix a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11?

To fix a certificate error in Internet Explorer 11, you can try refreshing the page, clearing your browser's cache, or updating your browser to the latest version. If the error persists, it is recommended to contact the website's administrator or the certificate's issuer for assistance.

Can I disable certificate errors in Internet Explorer 11?

While it is possible to disable certificate errors in Internet Explorer 11, it is not recommended as it can compromise your online security. It is best to address the underlying issue causing the certificate error rather than disabling the security feature.