Most Light Through Polarizing Filters: 0, 45, 90

• Thread starter solars
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polarizing filters and their effects on light passing through. The question is posed about which combination of filters allows the most light to pass through, with various angles and formulas being mentioned. One person shares their real-life experiment with polarizing filters, while another asks about the relevance of this information in terms of selling accessories.
solars
Which combo of polarizing filters allows most light to pass through? Each orientation is given with respect to vertical
unit of following values given are angles:
1. 0, 45, 90
2. 30, 60, 90
3. 180, 0, 180
4. 90, 135, 180
5. 10,20,100

I tried by using the formulas:
I1=0.5Inought
I2=I1*cos^2(theta)
I3=I2*cos^2(theta)

so bascially I multiplied cos^2(theta1) *cos^2(theta2) *cos^2(theta3) and chose the biggest value. Am I doing this right? Can I just plug in the angles given directly or do I have to subtract something from them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi solars! :smile:

Isn't it the difference between the angles that matters?

I've done this experiment for real (when I worked in a camera store).

It's really cool.

Put 2 filters together at 90 degrees to each other. Completely opaque.
Slip a 3rd one between them at a 45 degree angle. Suddenly, you can see through all three!

Manager says "How does that help us sell more accessories?"

oh so it should be 3 then? thanks for the help guys =)

Related to Most Light Through Polarizing Filters: 0, 45, 90

1. What is the purpose of using polarizing filters?

Polarizing filters are used to block or allow specific orientations of light waves. This helps to reduce glare, improve contrast, and enhance colors in photographs or other visual media.

2. How do polarizing filters work?

Polarizing filters consist of a material that only allows light waves with a specific orientation to pass through. These filters are often made of a polarized plastic sheet or a layer of microscopic crystals that act as a grid. The filter can be rotated to adjust the amount of light that is allowed through.

3. What are the different angles of a polarizing filter and how do they affect light transmission?

Polarizing filters are commonly available in three angles: 0, 45, and 90 degrees. A 0-degree filter allows all light waves to pass through, while a 90-degree filter blocks all light waves. A 45-degree filter allows only half of the light waves to pass through and blocks the other half.

4. How can polarizing filters be used in photography?

Polarizing filters are commonly used in photography to reduce reflections and glare from surfaces such as water or glass. They can also enhance the colors of the sky and foliage by reducing scattered light. In addition, polarizing filters can improve contrast and detail in landscapes and other outdoor scenes.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using polarizing filters?

While polarizing filters can greatly improve the quality of photographs, they can also reduce the amount of light entering the camera. This can result in longer exposure times, which may not be ideal for capturing fast-moving objects. In addition, polarizing filters may also cause a slight color shift in the final image.