Motivating definitions in calculus on manifolds

In summary: This is the projection operator. The dot product of two vectors is the norm of the vector, which is a measure of how much each vector deviates from the average of all the vectors in the set. The norm of a vector is just the sum of the squares of the distances between each of the vector's elements from the origin.In summary, Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is a dense book with a lot of concepts that are not easily visualized. In order to make it easier to understand, 3Blue1Brown has created a video that simplifies the proof of the projection operator.
Avatrin
Hi

I am a person who always have had a hard time picking up new definitions. Once I do, the rest kinda falls into place. In the case of abstract algebra, Stillwell's Elements of Algebra saved me. However, in the case of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, I get demotivated when I get to concepts like tensor products (I am reading through it for self-study).

I just need to see why something like the tensor product is a useful operation. So, I need examples of books or videos that can prepare me to read through a book as devoid of examples as Calculus on Manifolds.

Ideally, I would like to see a simplified/visualized proof a la this video by 3Blue1Brown:

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many different ways. Here's one way.

We have n-dimensional vectors that are columns of n numbers, and we now want to introduce a generalisation of that to an object that is a n x n matrix (which will be an order-2 tensor).

We can start by 'multiplying' two vectors u and v together by taking their outer product. This means that the element in row i and column j of the product matrix is the i-th element of u times the j-th element of v.

We can get a very large collection of n x n matrices as outer products of vectors, but we can't get all n x n matrices because our outer products all have the characteristic that all rows are multiples of one another, and the same goes for the columns. So the rank of each outer product matrix is only 1. But nonzero n x n matrices can have any rank from 1 to n, so our set of outer products is only a small part of the set of possible n x n matrices.

How do we get the other matrices? By adding together outer-product matrices. Matrix ranks are not preserved by addition, so we can alter the rank by adding them together. In fact we can get all any n x n matrix as a sum of no more than ##n^2## outer-product matrices, since we can express it as a linear combination of all the ##n^2## matrices that have a 1 in only one spot and zeroes everywhere else. Each of those matrices is an outer-product matrix because the matrix with a 1 in the i,j position is the outer product of the vector with 1 in the ith position and the vector with 1 in the j-th position.

We can then generalise from matrices, which are two-dimensional arrays of numbers, to higher dimensional arrays, by making more outer products and taking linear combinations of them.

For example let ##f:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R},\quad f\ne 0## be a linear function. Then ##\Pi=\{x\in\mathbb{R}^3\mid f(x)=0\}## is a plane, and let ##v\notin \Pi## be a vector. This vector defines a line ##L=\{t v\mid t\in\mathbb{R}\}##. Consider an operator ##P:\mathbb{R}^3\to L## of projection onto ##L## along the plane ##\Pi##. In terms of tensor product this operator is expressed extremely simple:
$$P=\frac{v\otimes f}{f(v)}$$

1. What is a motivating definition in calculus on manifolds?

A motivating definition in calculus on manifolds refers to a mathematical description that explains the fundamental concepts and principles used in calculus on manifolds. It helps to establish a clear understanding of the subject and provides a foundation for further study.

2. Why is it important to have motivating definitions in calculus on manifolds?

Motivating definitions serve as a starting point for learning calculus on manifolds. They provide a clear and concise explanation of the subject, making it easier for students to grasp the concepts and apply them to problem-solving. They also help to establish a strong conceptual understanding, which is crucial for further studies in advanced mathematics.

3. How are motivating definitions different from regular definitions in calculus on manifolds?

Motivating definitions are designed to provide a conceptual understanding of the subject, whereas regular definitions are more technical and formal. Motivating definitions focus on explaining the basic concepts and principles, while regular definitions provide precise and concise mathematical descriptions of those concepts.

4. Can motivating definitions in calculus on manifolds be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, motivating definitions can be applied to other areas of mathematics as well. They are designed to establish a strong conceptual understanding, which is essential for studying any mathematical subject. The concepts and principles explained in motivating definitions can also be applied to various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How can one use motivating definitions in calculus on manifolds to improve their problem-solving skills?

Motivating definitions provide a clear understanding of the basic concepts and principles in calculus on manifolds, which are crucial for problem-solving. By understanding these concepts, one can apply them to various problems and develop effective problem-solving strategies. Additionally, motivating definitions also help to identify connections between different concepts, which can aid in solving more complex problems.