Mount a circuit with timer and led

In summary, the author has an idea for a project that needs an electrical circuit with a led and a timer, but the circuit needs to be really small because it is for small objects. The author doesn't have any experience in this area, so they need help from a friend. The author has a problem because the circuit needs to be small, but the LED flasher needs to continue to show the product is out of date for a long period of time.
wachovia
Hi there,

I'm a material's design student and I have an idea to a project.. This idea needs an electrical circuit , with a led and a timer, but it has to be really really small, because it is for small objects.

How can I mount this type of circuit, with a timer that will fire a red light in the led, after long datas ( from 3 to 12 months).

I don't have any experience in this area , so I need to know the materials i need to use, how to mounth and program them.. Can you help me?

Thanks !

Engineering news on Phys.org
wachovia said:
Hi there,

I'm a material's design student and I have an idea to a project.. This idea needs an electrical circuit , with a led and a timer, but it has to be really really small, because it is for small objects.

How can I mount this type of circuit, with a timer that will fire a red light in the led, after long datas ( from 3 to 12 months).

I don't have any experience in this area , so I need to know the materials i need to use, how to mounth and program them.. Can you help me?

Thanks !

What kind of battery do you plan to use -- that may determine the minimum size of the LED unit. Why the long delay? Is the delay something that will be programmed into the LED device, or will some external event tridder the LED flash?

Likes 1 person
its better explain the real problem of the project:

Imagine a Coca-Cola bottle. It has a validity period! The led will turn red when this period expires ;-)
That's why i really need the smallest possible circuit.
Suggestions?

UltrafastPED said:
You mean something like this:

http://painresource.com/ask-experts...ovation-to-applaud-self-expiring-medications/

In this article the expiration is a chemical process; you can probably discover how it is done with a bit more research.

I already knew this kind of process, it's done by the chemical process.
I want to adapt the idea to put a led that fires a red light when the product becames out of date. Thats why I need a small circuit with a timer .

wachovia said:
I already knew this kind of process, it's done by the chemical process.
I want to adapt the idea to put a led that fires a red light when the product becames out of date. Thats why I need a small circuit with a timer .

But in Engineering, we focus on realism and optimization. There is a reason that the folks in Ultrafast's link did not choose to use a battery-powered LED circuit to show the expiration -- it is too costly and bulky to be practical. It is possible to make a battery-powered long-term timer and LED flasher, but the volume will be at least a 5mm per side cube (depending on how long the LED has to be able to flash), and the cost will be several tens of cents. None of that will be attractive to food packaging companies.

Think practicality and optimization in your designs! :smile:

There is another basic problem with the idea. How long will an LED flasher continue to show that the product is out of date, before the battery runs flat?

The chemical change indicators continue to show the product is out of date "for ever", or at least for the whole life of the product packaging.

1. How do I mount a circuit with a timer and LED?

To mount a circuit with a timer and LED, you will need to gather the necessary components such as a timer, LED, resistor, and breadboard. Then, follow a schematic or wiring diagram to connect the components together on the breadboard. Finally, use jumper wires to connect the circuit to a power source and test it out.

2. What is the purpose of using a timer in a circuit with an LED?

A timer is used to control the timing or duration of the LED's illumination. It can be set to turn the LED on and off at specific intervals, creating a flashing or blinking effect. This can be useful in various applications such as in decorative lighting or as a visual indicator in electronic devices.

3. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit with a timer and LED?

The resistor's value will depend on the specific LED and power source used in the circuit. You can use an online resistor calculator or refer to the LED's datasheet to determine the appropriate resistor value. It is important to choose the right resistor to prevent damaging the LED or other components in the circuit.

4. Can I use a different type of LED in my circuit with a timer?

Yes, you can use different types of LEDs in your circuit. However, it is important to consider the LED's voltage and current requirements and adjust the circuit accordingly. You may also need to modify the resistor value to ensure the LED is not damaged and the circuit functions properly.

5. How can I troubleshoot my circuit with a timer and LED if it is not working?

If your circuit is not working, first check all the connections to ensure they are correct and secure. Then, check the power source and make sure it is supplying the correct voltage. If the LED is not illuminating, try replacing it with a new one. If the issue persists, refer to the schematic or wiring diagram and double-check all the components and connections. You can also seek assistance from online forums or consult a professional for further troubleshooting steps.