• A
  • Thread starter exander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
exander
TL;DR Summary
Distinguishing object that move in space vs those moving with space
How can an observer distinguish two objects that are moving from each other in space compared to those that are moving with space due to expansion of the universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
They could compare each observer’s motion to the local inertial frame where the cosmic microwave background radiation is isotropic.

Likes cianfa72 and PeroK
Dale said:
They could compare each observer’s motion to the local inertial frame where the cosmic microwave background radiation is isotropic.
How do We know that CMB is not moving itself, because the content of the universe was moving during decoupling?

exander said:
How do We know that CMB is not moving itself, because the content of the universe was moving during decoupling?
Because we arbitrarily choose the reference frame where it is isotropic. We do that because it makes the math easier and we arbitrarily prefer easy math over difficult math.

Likes Hill
Likes berkeman, PeroK and Dale
exander said:
How do We know that CMB is not moving itself
Because seeing the CMB as isotropic is the meaning of "moving with space due to the expansion of the universe", which is what you asked about.

exander said:
How can an observer distinguish two objects that are moving from each other in space compared to those that are moving with space due to expansion of the universe?
The basic point is that it is spacetime that underlies everything. There is no "space" or "time", just spacetime. If you want to talk about space or time separately you have to first slice 4d spacetime into a stack of 3d slices, each of which is "the universe at one time". But there isn't a unique way to do this. There are no gridlines built in to spacetime telling you how to slice (although there are limits about which direction you can sensibly call time).

So you cannot tell if you are moving in space until you define what you have chosen to mean by "space". In cosmology it turns out that the slicing where the CMB is the same temperature at one time and isotropic when you are stationary is so useful that nobody uses anything else. But the underlying physics doesn't care about your mathematical convenience. You could use another slicing. There is no physical measurement that can tell you what choice you made.
exander said:
We know that the CMB has no net motion in space because we defined space to be the slicing of spacetime where the CMB has no net motion. It's true by definition.

A non-tautological question would be: is the FLRW spacetime an accurate model of the real spacetime? Or, equivalently, are there observations which are inconsistent with us being in an FLRW spacetime (or at least one that looks FLRW on large scales)? The answer to those is a resounding maybe.

Likes pervect, dextercioby, PeroK and 1 other person
Ibix said:
We know that the CMB has no net motion in space because we defined space to be the slicing of spacetime where the CMB has no net motion. It's true by definition.

A non-tautological question would be: is the FLRW spacetime an accurate model of the real spacetime? Or, equivalently, are there observations which are inconsistent with us being in an FLRW spacetime (or at least one that looks FLRW on large scales)? The answer to those is a resounding maybe.
Claiming that CMB has not net motion is equivalent to say that spacetime's slicing it defines gives "space" slices that are all homogeneous and isotropic.

How the CMB is related to the FLRW spacetime models ? Is it possibile to conceive different spacetime models from FLRWs that are consistent with the homogeneity and isotropy features of CMB ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Is possibile to conceive different spacetime models from FLRWs that are consistent with the homogeneity and isotropy features of CMB ?
No. The Robertson-Walker spacetime is the most general spacetime satisfying spatial homogeneity and isotropy. It is basically just implementing those symmetries.

cianfa72 said:
How the CMB is related to the FLRW spacetime models ? Is possibile to conceive different spacetime models from FLRWs that are consistent with the homogeneity and isotropy of CMB ?
Homogeneity no, not that I can think of. Isotropy is trivial; let the mass density vary with radial distance from the Earth. There are probably limits to how much variation you can have and be consistent with the observed existence of redshift of galaxies, and you probably get a complex relationship between redshift and intensity and time. It's also extremely contrived - of all the gin joints stars in all the galaxies we happen to be at the center of the distribution?

Orodruin said:
No. The Robertson-Walker spacetime is the most general spacetime satisfying spatial homogeneity and isotropy. It is basically just implementing those symmetries.
Therefore CMB's both homogeneity and isotropic features in every point of the Universe force us to assume one of the 3 FLRW models (Spherical, Euclidean or Hyperbolic) ?

Last edited:
Ibix said:
Isotropy is trivial; let the mass density vary with radial distance from the Earth.
Then the model won't be homogeneous.

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
Then the model won't be homogeneous.
Sure - that's why I said I couldn't think of a homogenous model except for FLRW.

Likes cianfa72
cianfa72 said:
Therefore CMB's both homogeneity and isotropic features in every point of the Universe force us to assume one of the 3 FLRW models (Spherical, Euclidean or Hyperbolic) ?
I don't think we can conclude that the universe is homogeneous from the CMB alone. That only tells you that it's isotropic. You need to add the cosmological principle, or a study of other matter in the universe, or something of the sort to get homogeneity.

Ibix said:
I don't think we can conclude that the universe is homogeneous from the CMB alone. That only tells you that it's isotropic. You need to add the cosmological principle, or a study of other matter in the universe, or something of the sort to get homogeneity.
Yet, the only spacetime models that are both homogeneous and isotropic are the FLRWs models.

cianfa72 said:
Yet, the only spacetime models that are both homogeneous and isotropic are the FLRWs models.
Yes. But the CMB is not the only piece of evidence supporting them.

Likes cianfa72
Ibix said:
Sure - that's why I said I couldn't think of a homogenous model except for FLRW.
I see. I understood @cianfa72 to be asking if there were any other models that satisfied both properties, homogeneity and isotropy. If we only need to satisfy isotropy, then any spherically symmetric spacetime will do (for example, Schwarzschild).

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
I see. I understood @cianfa72 to be asking if there were any other models that satisfied both properties, homogeneity and isotropy.
Depends how you read "consistent with the homogeneity and isotropy features of CMB". The CMB is isotropic, but without a few billion years' measurement I don't think we can say it's homogeneous with any confidence from CMB observation alone. Of course, we do have other lines of evidence pointing to homogeneity, like the large scale homogeneity of matter.
PeterDonis said:
If we only need to satisfy isotropy, then any spherically symmetric spacetime will do (for example, Schwarzschild).
Isotropy and a CMB. And we need to be at the middle, so it can't be pure Schwarzschild. That's actually why I was saying there were probably limits to the variation of density with radial distance that you can get away with. Presumably something that is not far from homogeneous would behave not that differently from an FLRW spacetime, would necessarily be isotropic to the special observer at the origin, but not be homogeneous.

Like I say, it's rather contrived.

Likes cianfa72 and PeterDonis
PeterDonis said:
I see. I understood @cianfa72 to be asking if there were any other models that satisfied both properties, homogeneity and isotropy. If we only need to satisfy isotropy, then any spherically symmetric spacetime will do (for example, Schwarzschild).
Sorry, when you talk of homogeneity and isotropy of spacetime you actually mean properties of the spacetime itself or properties of the spacelike hypersurfaces of specific foliations ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
when you talk of homogeneity and isotropy of spacetime you actually mean properties of the spacetime itself or properties of the spacelike hypersurfaces of specific foliations ?
When we say a spacetime is homogeneous and isotropic, what we mean is that there exists a foliation by spacelike hypersurfaces which have the required Killing vector fields.

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
When we say a spacetime is homogeneous and isotropic, what we mean is that there exists a foliation by spacelike hypersurfaces which have the required Killing vector fields.
Ok, so assuming CMB isotropy does mean assuming isotropy (i.e. the existence of rotation KVFs about a point on foliation's spacelike hypersurfaces) at any point of any foliation's spacelike hypersurfaces ?

cianfa72 said:
assuming CMB isotropy does mean assuming isotropy
Not necessarily, no. It is theoretically possible to have a model where the CMB is isotropic but something else is not.

However, if you assume isotropy of the spacetime, in the sense I described in post #20, then that does imply that everything is isotropic--the CMB and any other stress-energy that is present--in the same sense.

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
Not necessarily, no. It is theoretically possible to have a model where the CMB is isotropic but something else is not.
Ok, claiming CMB is isotropic from measurement amounts to say it is isotropic just from the single point it is observed, I believe.

cianfa72 said:
claiming CMB is isotropic from measurement amounts to say it is isotropic just from the single point it is observed
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
Ok, claiming CMB is isotropic from measurement amounts to say it is isotropic just from the single point it is observed, I believe.
Therefore we have not a direct evidence (by measurements) that CMB is actually isotropic w.r.t. other points in the Universe.

cianfa72 said:
we have not a direct evidence (by measurement) that CMB is actually isotropic w.r.t. other points in the Universe.
That's correct.

cianfa72 said:
Therefore we have not a direct evidence (by measurements) that CMB is actually isotropic w.r.t. other points in the Universe.
Well, the homogeneity of matter in the universe suggests that the universe is FLRW and hence the CMB is also homogeneous. But we haven't directly sampled the CMB elsewhere, no, due to not having been anywhere else.

Ibix said:
the homogeneity of matter in the universe
But we don't actually know that by direct observation either. We assume it, and we have no observations so far that are inconsistent with that assumption (at least not when we specify that we only mean on large enough distance scales). But we have no direct confirmation of it either, for the same reason we have no direct confirmation of isotropy.

PeterDonis said:
But we don't actually know that by direct observation either. We assume it, and we have no observations so far that are inconsistent with that assumption (at least not when we specify that we only mean on large enough distance scales). But we have no direct confirmation of it either, for the same reason we have no direct confirmation of isotropy.
Good point. I was thinking that we have a reasonable idea that the number density of galaxies is homogeneous, but really we only know its isotropic because we're seeing back into the past and the visible density does vary with distance. We attribute that to ##a## varying only with time, but the "only" is an assumption derived from the cosmological principle.

Ibix said:
Well, the homogeneity of matter in the universe suggests that the universe is FLRW and hence the CMB is also homogeneous.
If the CMB is homogeneous everywhere and isotropic at a point then it is isotropic at any point (on foliation's spacelike hypersurfaces).

Last edited:
Ibix said:
I was thinking that we have a reasonable idea that the number density of galaxies is homogeneous, but really we only know its isotropic because we're seeing back into the past and the visible density does vary with distance. We attribute that to ##a## varying only with time, but the "only" is an assumption derived from the cosmological principle.
Yes, exactly. In other words, our homogeneous model is consistent with the data we have (on large enough distance scales), but that in itself does not prove that the universe must be homogeneous (on large enough distance scales).

Likes Ibix
cianfa72 said:
If the CMB is homogeneous everywhere and isotropic at a point then it is isotropic at any point (on foliation's spacelike hypersurfaces).
Yes.

PeterDonis said:
... but that in itself does not prove that the universe must be homogeneous (on large enough distance scales).
What could prove "that the universe must be homogeneous (on large enough distance scales)"?

Would the detection of primordial gravitational waves be a prove? If that proves the correctness of the inflationary theory then I think that even if the creation of matter particles at the end of inflation doesn't happen exactly silmultaneous this would cause slightly different matter densities only locally.

PeterDonis said:
If we only need to satisfy isotropy, then any spherically symmetric spacetime will do (for example, Schwarzschild).
Spherically symmetric spacetime has only 3 linearly independent spacelike KVFs (Killing Lie algebra has dimension 3). They are rotational KVFs about a fixed point on any spacelike hypersurface of constant Schwarzschild coordinate time (contrast with a maximally symmetric spacelike hypersurface that has got ##3*4/2=6## linearly independent KVFs).

Therefore such spherically symmetric spacetime is isotropic only about a specific "spatial" location (i.e. about the points that a specific timelike worldline intersects any of the spacelike hypersurfaces of constant Schwarzschild coordinate time).

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
What could prove "that the universe must be homogeneous (on large enough distance scales)"?
Strictly speaking, nothing. We don't prove physical theories - they are always provisional. However, going to a distant galaxy and checking that the universe appears isotropic from there too would spike Peter and my (pedantic and not terribly plausible) "it's just isotropic from our current location" objection. Or you could wait a few million years until you can see what the matter density in distant galaxies looks like it does now in our neighbourhood (although there may be model-dependant objections to that approach).
timmdeeg said:
Would the detection of primordial gravitational waves be a prove? If that proves the correctness of the inflationary theory then I think that even if the creation of matter particles at the end of inflation doesn't happen exactly silmultaneous this would cause slightly different matter densities only locally.
Same arguments apply, I'm afraid. It has to be said that the more independent bits of evidence you gather that are consistent with a homogenous model, the more contrived the isotropic-only model usually has to be. We'd usually prefer the less contrived model - but we don't ever strictly rule it out until it's directly falsified.

Likes timmdeeg