MRNA Vaccine: How It Works & Questions Answered

• Thread starter brajesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary, an mRNA vaccine works by delivering a mRNA to the cell, which is then read by the cell machinery to produce the spike protein. The spike protein is presented outside the cell, and the immune system recognizes an intruder and attacks the cell.
brajesh
TL;DR Summary
What happens to the cell after it produces the spike protein? Does it get killed?
Here is my understanding of how an mRNA vaccine works and some questions where I am not clear:

I understand that an mRNA vaccine is delivered via lipid spheres containing the mRNA,.
The cell brings it inside the cell thinking it's fat?
Then the mRNA is read by the cell machinery to produce the spike protein?
The spike protein is presented outside the cell?
The immune system recognizes an intruder and attacks the cell?
So is the original cell killed in this process?

Biology news on Phys.org
Your questions are in blue. My answers are black and are simplified.

I understand that an mRNA vaccine is delivered via lipid spheres containing the mRNA,.
They are variously called liposomes, micelles, there are other terms. This is how non-fat soluble nutrients - like vitamin C or copper complexes get out of the gut and into cells. Moving through cell membranes.

The cell brings it inside the cell thinking it's fat?
No. see above.

Then the mRNA is read by the cell machinery to produce the spike protein?
Yes.

The spike protein is presented outside the cell?

It moves out via the Golgi apparatus, yes. Sort of like 'I do not know what to do with this stuff, so let me dump it.'

No. The immune system sees a foreign protein. This triggers an extremely complex response that builds up special immune memory cells as well as antibodies specific for that protein. No cell killing.

No.

• Informative
Likes bhobba, pinball1970, Tom.G and 2 others
thank you for the nice simple explanation @jim mcnamara :)

jim mcnamara said:

No. The immune system sees a foreign protein. This triggers an extremely complex response that builds up special immune memory cells as well as antibodies specific for that protein. No cell killing.

No.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that cytotoxic T-cells recognize cells presenting foreign antigens and target them for destruction.

Likes bhobba, Laroxe and brajesh
CD8 T cells can kill infected cells, especially those with viral infections. That is correct I believe. So what cells are killed during immunogenesis? If the patient achieves "immune response mediated sterility", then all infected cells have been killed as have all virus particles/antigens been eliminated.. This does happen. But it cannot be across the board. Otherwise, for example, mRNA vaccines would be 100% effective (parameter=sterility), 100% of the time. Correct?

Therefore, some fraction of the time, all "infected" cells are killed. And some cells, at a minimum, are almost always killed, I presume.

-- https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/hcp/mrna-vaccine-basics.html --
see: Mechanisms for action - dendritic cells and macrophages in lymph nodes

So, I opted for none, maybe "most" would have been better.

Last edited:
Likes Laroxe
Yes for the longer term adaptive response there are a number of different cells which sample the antigens and deliver these samples to lymphatic tissue. This stimulates the development of germinal centres which produce lots of B Lymphocytes which produce antibodies, only the lymphocytes that provide a reasonable antibody match are kept and allowed to divide. This process allows for the best matching antibodies to be selected and at every challenge the antibodies are refined even further.
Some of these B lymphocytes become long lived memory cells that allow for the rapid development of antibodies if the virus is encountered again.

• Informative
Likes jujubeen66, bhobba and BillTre

1. What is an mRNA vaccine?

An mRNA vaccine is a type of vaccine that uses a small piece of genetic material called messenger RNA (mRNA) to teach the body's cells how to make a protein that triggers an immune response against a specific virus or bacteria.

2. How does an mRNA vaccine work?

An mRNA vaccine works by delivering a small piece of mRNA into the body, which is taken up by cells and used to produce a specific protein. This protein triggers an immune response, teaching the body's immune system to recognize and fight off the virus or bacteria in the future.

3. Are mRNA vaccines safe?

Yes, mRNA vaccines are considered safe. They do not contain any live virus or bacteria, and the mRNA is broken down quickly by the body. Additionally, mRNA vaccines have been extensively studied and have been found to have a high safety profile.

4. How effective are mRNA vaccines?

MRNA vaccines have been found to be highly effective in preventing illness from specific viruses or bacteria. For example, the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines have shown efficacy rates of over 90% in clinical trials.

5. How long does protection from an mRNA vaccine last?

The length of protection from an mRNA vaccine is still being studied, as these vaccines are relatively new. However, early data suggests that protection may last for at least several months, and booster shots may be needed in the future to maintain immunity.