Multiplying polynomials in Mathematica

In summary, when multiplying polynomials in Mathematica, use the asterisk (*) symbol to separate the polynomials. You can multiply multiple polynomials at once by separating them with the asterisk symbol. You can also use any variable or combination of variables in your polynomials. Mathematica follows the rules of algebra for multiplying polynomials with exponents and there is no limit to the number of terms or variables you can use.
SMA_01
I have two polynomials

(1+x+x^2+x^3) and (1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4), I'm trying to figure out how to compute the product in Mathematica, but it's not working.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand[(1+x+x^2+x^3)*(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4)]

Related to Multiplying polynomials in Mathematica

1. What is the syntax for multiplying polynomials in Mathematica?

The syntax for multiplying polynomials in Mathematica is using the asterisk (*) symbol between the two polynomials. For example, to multiply the polynomials x^2 + 3x + 2 and 2x + 1, you would write: (x^2 + 3x + 2) * (2x + 1).

2. Can I multiply more than two polynomials at once in Mathematica?

Yes, you can multiply multiple polynomials at once in Mathematica by separating each polynomial with the asterisk (*) symbol. For example, to multiply the polynomials x^2 + 3x + 2, 2x + 1, and 4x^2 - 5, you would write: (x^2 + 3x + 2) * (2x + 1) * (4x^2 - 5).

3. Can I multiply polynomials with variables other than x in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use any variable or combination of variables in your polynomials when multiplying in Mathematica. Mathematica will treat these variables as unknowns and will be able to perform the multiplication correctly.

4. How does Mathematica handle multiplying polynomials with exponents?

Mathematica follows the rules of algebra when multiplying polynomials with exponents. This means that when multiplying two terms with exponents, the exponents are added together. For example, when multiplying x^2 and x^3, the result is x^(2+3) = x^5.

5. Is there a limit to the number of terms or variables I can use when multiplying polynomials in Mathematica?

No, there is no limit to the number of terms or variables you can use when multiplying polynomials in Mathematica. You can use as many terms and variables as necessary to represent your polynomial expression.