Multivariable Calculus Chain Rule Problem: Wave equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a wave equation using a function of the form ##z = f(x + at) + g(x - at)##. The conversation provides a hint to let ##u = x + at## and ##v = x - at## and then goes on to discuss the difference between using f'(u) and ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial u}## as well as the evaluation of ##\frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}## and ##- \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}##. The expert summarizer explains that the problem with the solution given in the book is that the student considers ##f
Agent 47

Homework Statement

Show that any function of the form

##z = f(x + at) + g(x - at)##

is a solution to the wave equation

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2}##

[Hint: Let u = x + at, v = x - at]

2. The attempt at a solution

My problem with this is not that I haven't been able to solve it. The book's solution is right here:
hLVjQdS.png

I began to have trouble when I decided not to use f'(u) and g'(v) instead I used ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial u}## and ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial v}##

When I did this I got

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2} = \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial u^2} + \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v} + \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial v^2}##

and

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 (\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial u^2} - \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v} + \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial v^2})##

And that does not fulfill the condition stated in the beginning.

So I have a two questions in the end:

1)What is the difference between writing f'(u) and ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial u}##?

2)Do ##\frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}## and ##- \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}## both evaluate to 0? (That's the only way ##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2}##) or did I do something wrong in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
One ordinarily would use the notation f'(u) when f is deemed to be a function of a single variable, and ∂f/∂u when f is a function of several variables including u. However, the notation shouldn't make any difference.

Your problem is that when you went for ∂##^2##z/∂x##^2## you regarded ∂f/∂u as a function of both u and v, which it is not -- it is a function of u alone. Same with v. So you are not going to get any cross terms.

This may be a good reason why ∂f/∂u isn't a good way to notate f'(u).

Thank you so much. This has been bothering me for a while. So basically I interpreted this as ##f(u,v)## instead of ##f(u)## and ##g(v)## separately. Right?

Exactly right.

Related to Multivariable Calculus Chain Rule Problem: Wave equation

1. What is the wave equation in multivariable calculus?

The wave equation in multivariable calculus is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave in two or three dimensions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the propagation of waves such as sound, light, and water waves.

2. How is the chain rule used to solve wave equation problems in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is often necessary when solving wave equation problems in multivariable calculus. This is because the wave equation involves multiple variables and requires taking partial derivatives with respect to each variable.

3. What is the purpose of the chain rule in multivariable calculus?

The purpose of the chain rule in multivariable calculus is to help find the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components and find the derivatives of each component separately.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any multivariable function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any multivariable function. It is a fundamental concept in multivariable calculus and is necessary for finding derivatives of composite functions.

5. How do I know when to use the chain rule in a multivariable calculus problem?

You should use the chain rule in a multivariable calculus problem when the function involves multiple variables and you need to find the derivative with respect to one of those variables. Additionally, the chain rule is commonly used when working with composite functions or when taking higher-order derivatives.