Muscles used for certain movements

• Thread starter caters
  • Start date
In summary, it can be difficult to determine which muscles are contracting and relaxing during each phase of a particular movement such as walking. However, it is important to consider the involvement of the cerebellum and prefrontal cortex in voluntary movements, as well as the many muscles involved in walking. If you are interested in learning more about this topic, there are many good resources available online.
caters
How would I know what muscles contract and which ones relax during each phase of a particular movement such as walking? I mean for the arms and legs that is pretty easy. I can just feel my own muscle and see if it feels smaller or bigger during each phase to know whether it is contracting or relaxing. However the glutei and abs are also involved in walking. In particular the glutei in the forward movement of the leg and the abs for stability. For me it is not as easy to feel the muscle to know whether it is contracting or relaxing when it comes to the glutei or abs, especially the abs. So how would I know whether the glutei and abs are contracting or relaxing during each phase?

Biology news on Phys.org
caters said:
How would I know what muscles contract and which ones relax during each phase of a particular movement such as walking? I mean for the arms and legs that is pretty easy. I can just feel my own muscle and see if it feels smaller or bigger during each phase to know whether it is contracting or relaxing. However the glutei and abs are also involved in walking. In particular the glutei in the forward movement of the leg and the abs for stability. For me it is not as easy to feel the muscle to know whether it is contracting or relaxing when it comes to the glutei or abs, especially the abs. So how would I know whether the glutei and abs are contracting or relaxing during each phase?

That is part of learning about physiology and sports medicine. I think you are currently in high school, correct? Do you have access to a community college where you can take courses in physiology and sports medicine? If not, there are some good on-line classes... :smile:

caters said:
So how would I know whether the glutei and abs are contracting or relaxing during each phase?

Is there a specific reason you are interested in this question? The cerebellum in combination with the midbrain organizes gait through reciprocally inhibitive networks. This is a feature that's conserved in all mammals. In Eutherian mammals, we see the conspicuous appearance of frontal motor strip, and in primates this evolves into a highly developed prefrontal cortex (PFC). We can say that this PFC is involved in "voluntary" movements, those that may accentuate or "veto" the involuntary balancing act that the cerebellum-midbrain complex confers. So, in short, we basically have two superposed kinesthetic systems operating here, one voluntary and one involuntary. As berkeman intimated, if you want to learn more about the involuntary component, there is a good deal of literature that describes these reciprocally inhibitive mechanisms. The voluntary part is a bit more complicated, and for humans in particular you are venturing into the arena of consciousness study.

Likes berkeman
Here's a free article published in Elsevier's "Gait and Posture:
http://www.musculographics.com/pdf/gait&posture16(3).pdf

Within the article, you will see skeleton figures with forces on them and descriptions of muscle coordination in the text. For your own searches, the discipline I most often hear associated with this is 'kinesiology':

When I look at the work done by muscles during gait I see the glutei and how much work they do(I guess the black and white represent the two main phases, that is stance and swing, each of which are separated into smaller phases) but I don't see anything about the abs or when the muscles involved contract and relax.

I most often hear muscle involvement in physiology and biomechanics. I have searched things like "What muscles are involved in walking" and "Which muscles contract in the flat foot phase" and I got no clear answer when it came to which muscles contract in each phase.

I then searched for biomechanics forums thinking that they might help me figure out when each individual muscle involved(Quadriceps femoris, Biceps femoris, Abs, Gluteus maximus, Gluteus medius, Gluteus minimus, Gastroscenemus(not sure if I am spelling that right) etc.) contract and relax but all I got there was things about researchers experimenting with biomechanics and nothing that would help me get an answer to this question about when each muscle contracts and relaxes.

This is a tough question, its answerable but time consuming as you have not specified any particular movement!
If you consider walking itself, the muscles for :moving your legs + holding your head up+ Helping your vertebral column + even muscles of your eye to co-ordinate your movement + cardiac + stapedius + many more. Too hard to list out all the muscles, you can list out the major muscles, but all, really hard.

Related to Muscles used for certain movements

1. What are the main muscles used for walking?

The main muscles used for walking are the quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteal muscles, and calf muscles. The quadriceps are responsible for extending the knee and propelling the leg forward. The hamstrings help to bend the knee and move the leg backward. The gluteal muscles are responsible for stabilizing the pelvis and supporting the body weight. The calf muscles help to push off the ground and move the foot forward.

2. Which muscles are used for lifting weights?

The muscles used for lifting weights vary depending on the specific movement and exercise being performed. However, some of the main muscles involved in weightlifting include the deltoids, biceps, triceps, pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, and core muscles. These muscles work together to stabilize and move the joints during weightlifting exercises.

3. What muscles are used for throwing a ball?

The main muscles used for throwing a ball are the deltoids, pectoralis major, triceps, and core muscles. The deltoids help to lift the arm and rotate it outward, while the pectoralis major helps to extend the arm. The triceps are responsible for extending the elbow and providing power for the throw. The core muscles provide stability and transfer power from the legs to the upper body.

4. Which muscles are responsible for smiling?

The muscles responsible for smiling are the zygomaticus major and minor, which are located on the cheeks and help to raise the corners of the mouth. The orbicularis oculi, located around the eyes, also plays a role in smiling by causing the eyes to narrow and form crow's feet. The buccinator, located in the cheeks, helps to pull the corners of the mouth laterally.

5. What muscles are used for breathing?

The main muscles used for breathing are the diaphragm, intercostal muscles, and abdominal muscles. The diaphragm is a dome-shaped muscle located at the bottom of the ribcage, and it contracts and relaxes to allow for inhalation and exhalation. The intercostal muscles, located between the ribs, also help to expand and contract the ribcage during breathing. The abdominal muscles play a role in forced exhalation by compressing the abdominal contents and pushing air out of the lungs.