Why Is My Computer's Audio Fine for CDs but Not for Online or Stored Files?

In summary, The individual is experiencing a problem with low sound when playing media from websites or files on their computer, despite having checked all volume settings. Suggestions are given, including checking separate volume controls and running sound tests, but the issue persists. The individual discovers that adjusting the balance in the control panel fixes the problem temporarily, but it may occur again. Further questions are asked about the computer's sound card and whether it is a laptop or desktop.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Can anyone help me with a weird problem I am having on my computer?

When I play a CD or DVD in my computer the sound is fine. When I try to listen to something on a website like youtube or even a file already on my hard drive, I can barely hear it.

I have already checked all of the volume settings and that doesn't change anything.

Suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which OS are you using?
I know e.g. in Windows Vista you can set the volume for each program separately.

The basic volume control in Windows has separate controls for WAV, CD and the master audio levels. Make sure you open that up instead of the volume control with the single slider.

CompuChip said:
Which OS are you using?
I know e.g. in Windows Vista you can set the volume for each program separately.
Windows XP

FredGarvin said:
The basic volume control in Windows has separate controls for WAV, CD and the master audio levels. Make sure you open that up instead of the volume control with the single slider.
I did and palyed with all the settings, no change.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to hire the Nerd Herd.

The only thing I would think it would is that the "wav" was not turned up- But you say it's not the case... Have you tried running the microsoft DirectX sound tests? That may be helpful, let's hope- go to run then type dxdiag- I hope it helps ya!

Evo said:
Windows XP

I did and palyed with all the settings, no change.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to hire the Nerd Herd.
I knew that one was too easy.

I was so angry, that I went back into the control panel and on the volume tab, I slid the balance over to one side and both speakers came on full blast. :bugeye: It doesn't matter which side I place the balance, they both work equally, but if I place the balance in the middle, you can barely make out a sound.

Thanks for the suggestions, since this fixed itself the other day. It may go out again.

Last edited:
If you have external speakers plugged in, then try the moving the connector.
A mono signal can cancel out when balanced if the common ground is bad.
Stereo won't be affected to the same degree.

Evo said:
I was so angry, that I went back into the control panel and on the volume tab, I slid the balance over to one side and both speakers came on full blast. :bugeye: It doesn't matter which side I place the balance, they both work equally, but if I place the balance in the middle, you can barely make out a sound.

Thanks for the suggestions, since this fixed itself the other day. It may go out again.
Do you have a sound card, or is this off the motherboard? It could be that the component on the motherboard is going.

Are you using laptop or desktop?

Related to Why Is My Computer's Audio Fine for CDs but Not for Online or Stored Files?

1. Why is my computer struggling to produce audio?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a problem with your computer's sound card or audio drivers, a malfunctioning speaker or headphone, or a software issue. It is also possible that the audio settings on your computer have been changed or muted.

2. How can I fix the audio issue on my computer?

First, make sure your speakers or headphones are properly connected to your computer and are not damaged. Then, check the audio settings on your computer and make sure they are not muted or set to a very low volume. If that doesn't work, try updating your audio drivers or restarting your computer.

3. Why is the audio on my computer choppy or distorted?

This could be due to a weak internet connection if you are streaming audio online. It could also be caused by outdated or faulty audio drivers, or a problem with your computer's sound card. Try updating your drivers and restarting your computer to see if that resolves the issue.

4. Can viruses affect the audio on my computer?

Yes, it is possible for viruses or malware to cause audio issues on your computer. They can corrupt or damage audio files, or interfere with audio settings and drivers. Make sure your computer has a reliable antivirus and perform regular scans to prevent and remove any potential threats.

5. How can I prevent audio issues on my computer?

To prevent audio issues, regularly update your audio drivers and make sure your computer is free of viruses. Avoid downloading or streaming audio from unreliable sources, and be careful when adjusting audio settings. If you frequently experience audio problems, it may be time to have your computer checked by a professional.