Nasty integral - which piece of technology to trust?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an indefinite integral using technology. Different calculators give different answers and there is confusion about which one is correct. The conversation then turns to using substitution to solve the integral and the correct substitution is eventually determined to be u=e^x.
tatiana_eggs
Nasty integral -- which piece of technology to trust?

Homework Statement

indefinite integral: e^x / (e^2x + 9) dx
Technology is allowed to solve it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My trusty TI-89 says (pi/540)arctan((e^3x)/3)

while two different online integral calculators came up with (1/3log(e))*arctan((e^3x)/3)

What do you think? Which is right/should I trust? Should I just do it by hand? If so, what method do you recommend?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

u=e^x

Hmm, I don't know if it's just by foggy memory of Calc II but that substitution doesn't seem to help it at all.

Make the subst [itex]e^{x} = 3 u[/tex] and your integral will be converted to a table one. none of the answers is correct.

What relationship is there between [tex] e^{2x} [/tex] and [tex] e^x [/tex]? That should help with the integral and the substitution.

Thanks you two, I am starting to get it, but I am running into trouble.

So far, 3u=e^x, du=?dx -- should I take du/dx of e^x/3 and get du = e^x dx? But if I do that then I get an e^x in my integral below.

integral: 3u / (9u^2 + 9)

what is du?

The derivative of u. I thought I had to take the derivative of my subsitution and solve for dx to sub that back into my integral.

Write what you get for du.

I think your trusty TI-89 calculated exactly what you told it to calculate, rather than what you meant to calculate. Is it in degree mode, perchance, instead of radian mode?

yes :)

so I got du = (e^x)/3 dx. What do I do with this expression? I thought I was supposed to solve for dx, and plug that into my integral with my u's. Is that not right?

integral: 3u / (9u^2 + 9) * 3 / (e^x) du

Hurkyl, it was in radian mode.

Oh, so then the default output of the arctangent function for TI-89 is in degrees.

Oh wow, I just did it in degree mode and it produced the answer consistent with the back of the book.

Thanks Statdad, Dickfore and Hurkyl, so very much!

Oh and I finally figured out the substitution thing. I realized I didn't need to sub 3u into the numerator

u=e^x
du=e^xdx
Your integral becomes
1/(u^2 +9) which is the antiderievative of (1/3)arctan(u/3)...

Last edited:

Related to Nasty integral - which piece of technology to trust?

1. What is a "nasty integral"?

A "nasty integral" refers to a complex and difficult mathematical integral that is challenging to solve. It may involve complicated functions, multiple variables, or other factors that make it difficult to calculate.

2. Why is it important to know which piece of technology to trust when dealing with a nasty integral?

Choosing the right technology to use when solving a nasty integral is crucial because different software or methods may produce different results. It is essential to choose a trusted and reliable tool to ensure accurate and consistent solutions.

3. What factors should I consider when deciding which technology to use for a nasty integral?

When selecting technology for solving a nasty integral, you should consider factors such as the complexity of the integral, the accuracy of the results, the speed of computation, and the availability of resources or support. It is also essential to compare different methods and tools to determine which one is most suitable for your specific integral.

4. Can I trust technology to accurately solve a nasty integral?

Yes, technology can be trusted to solve a nasty integral accurately, but it is essential to choose the right tool and understand its limitations. It is also crucial to double-check the results and use multiple methods or software to validate the solution.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using technology to solve a nasty integral?

Yes, when using technology to solve a nasty integral, it is essential to be cautious and understand the limitations of the tool. It is also crucial to check the accuracy of the results and use multiple methods or software to validate the solution. Additionally, it is recommended to consult with experts or seek help if you encounter any issues or discrepancies in the solution.