NCalculating Work on a 45Kg Block on an Incline | Physics Problems and Solutions

In summary, a 45Kg block slides down a frictionless incline 1.5m long and 0.91m high. A worker pushes up against the block, parallel to the incline, so that the block slides down the incline at a constant speed. The magnitude of the workers force is 0 and the work done is -401 J. The gravitational force is also 0.
suspenc3
A 45Kg block slides down a frictionless incline 1.5m long and 0.91m high. A worker pushes up against the block, parallel to the incline, so that the block slides down the incline at a constant speed.

(a)what is the magnitude of the workers force?

(b)How much work is done on the block by the workers force?

(c)The Gravitational force?

(d)The normal force on the block from the surface of the incline?

(e)The Net Force on the block.

m = 45Kg
d = 1.5m
Theta = 37.35
a = 0m/s^2

I drew a F.B.D and came up with the following:

(a)
(-F) - mgsin(theta) = ma = 0
-mgsin(theta) = F
F = -267.5N

(b)
Wa = Fd
Wa = -267.5N(1.5m)
Wa = -401 J

(c)
Wg = -Wa
Wg = 401 J

(d)
N - mgcos(theta) = 0
N = mgcos(theta)
N = 350.6 N

(e)
F(total) = ma
F(total) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) Correct approach but what is the positive direction?
(d) Careful. Which direction does the normal force act. Does it have any component parallel to the displacement of the box?

Positive Direction = up the ramp

The normal force is perpendicular to the ramp isn't it?..it doesn't have any component parallel to the displacement i don't think.

So I'm guessing that my answers are wrong?

Positive Direction = up the ramp
If positive is up the ramp, then your answer means the guy is pushing down the ramp (you gave a negative answer).

The normal force is perpendicular to the ramp isn't it?..it doesn't have any component parallel to the displacement i don't think.
So if it has no parallel component, did it displace the box? Waht does that mean about the work done?

but he must be pushing up the ramp to stop the box from accelerating right?

the normal force wouldn't displace the box i don't think...

Not too sure though..I don't know what to do

but he must be pushing up the ramp to stop the box from accelerating right?
Yeah, but if he's pushing -267 ni the UP direction it means he's pushing 267 in the down direction. The mistake you made is in the first line of your work. Redraw your FBD.

the normal force wouldn't displace the box i don't think...
Right it doesn't, if the Force doesn't cause any displacement, it does no work.

i think i see it...maybe..

I drew the force pushing downwards..when it should have been upwards..soo..

F - mgsin(theta) = ma = 0
F = mgsin(theta)
F = 267.5N

?

You goti t.

1. Can someone else check my work for me?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your work for any errors or mistakes that you may have missed. This could be a colleague, a mentor, or a tutor.

2. How can I find someone to check my work?

You can ask a colleague or a mentor to check your work, or you can seek professional help from a tutor or a writing center. You can also post your work on online forums or discussion boards for feedback.

3. Is it okay to have someone else check my work?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to have someone else check your work. In fact, it is often recommended as it can help improve the quality of your work and catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed.

4. Can someone check my work for free?

It depends on who you ask. Some colleagues or mentors may offer to check your work for free as a favor, but professional help from tutors or writing centers may come at a cost. You can also seek free feedback from online forums or discussion boards.

5. How do I know if someone has checked my work thoroughly?

You can ask for specific feedback or questions about your work to see if they have thoroughly checked it. You can also ask for multiple people to check your work to ensure a thorough review. Additionally, you can use online tools such as plagiarism checkers to make sure your work is original.