Need confirmation on lightbulb experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a light bulb, batteries, and resistance. The equation y= .08x+.14 is used to represent the relationship between the number of batteries (X) and the Amp draw through the light bulb (Y). The results of the experiment show that the resistance of the light bulb increases as more batteries are added. The question being explored is whether a linear model can accurately predict the resistance of the bulb for each individual cell. The conversation also mentions a link that provides more information about the experiment and its results.
Flyingwing12
I was piddling with my meter and graphing calculator and came up with this equation

y= .08x+.14

This equation uses the number of batteries for X, and the Amp draw through a light bulb for Y.

The results are theoretical past 4 batteries.

The batteries were 1.29 v when the experiment began.

The real question here is about resistance.

Outside here it is about 80 degrees F, the ohmmeter showed 1.3 ohms from the light-bulb. The light bulb, using Ohms law, will have a resistance of ~11.4667 ohms when ~5.16 V are put to it. Meaning an amp draw of ~.45A

*With this initial resistance and final resistance being known, can I use a linear model to find the resistance of the bulb for each individual cell?*

How would this model be constructed?

If a graph were to be constructed it would start at (0,1.3) and end at (4, 11.46667). Is there any digital way of finding the missing values?

Kind of a math question isn't it?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
See part 2 in this link. It describes exactly your experiment, even uses your method of force voltage with batteries, and how to plot out the v vs i curve and what not.

http://teachers.usd497.org/agleue/unit_pdfs/electricity_unit_1/electricity_unit_1_ohm_laws_and_light_bulb_lab.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, i found this via a google when looking for the v vs i of a light bulb over this voltage range. here the bulb's large signal behavior isn't ohmic so it can't be modeled accurately over this range with an equation of the form y=mx+b.

you'll see all that, and an explanation, in the results section of the link above.

1. How does the lightbulb experiment work?

The lightbulb experiment works by passing an electric current through a filament inside the bulb, causing it to heat up and emit light. This is known as incandescence and is the basic principle behind how traditional lightbulbs work.

2. What materials do I need for the lightbulb experiment?

You will need a lightbulb, a battery, and wires to connect the battery to the lightbulb. You may also need a bulb holder or socket to hold the lightbulb in place. Optional materials include a switch to control the flow of electricity and a voltmeter to measure the voltage.

3. How do I set up the lightbulb experiment?

To set up the lightbulb experiment, first connect the positive end of the battery to one end of the wire and the negative end of the battery to the other end of the wire. Then, connect one end of the wire to the base of the lightbulb and the other end to the metal tip at the bottom of the bulb. Finally, place the bulb in the holder or socket and turn on the switch, if using one.

4. What is the purpose of the lightbulb experiment?

The purpose of the lightbulb experiment is to demonstrate the conversion of electrical energy into light energy. It also allows for the study of electrical circuits, including the flow of current and the role of resistance in producing light.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of the lightbulb experiment?

The outcome of the lightbulb experiment can be affected by several factors, such as the type of battery used, the voltage of the battery, the material and thickness of the wire, and the type of lightbulb. Changes to any of these factors can impact the brightness and duration of the light produced by the bulb.