Need help to identify the parts needed

• Thread starter novinox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary: What size tortillas will you be making? 4) What type of pressing mechanism will you be using? (hand or pneumatic) 5) What is the intended use of the machine? 6) What is your budget? 7) Do you have a picture of the machine you are thinking of making? In summary, you will need a 120 psi air compressor to provide air for the pneumatic cylinder, and a system capable of controlling the solenoid valves while operating the machine through the programmed cycle. You will also need a couple of 1 kW hotplates, with thermostats to regulate the temperature. You will need to
novinox
Hi, I am trying to build a tortilla pressing device.
If possible could anyone let me know what are the parts i need to get and also the size/power of the pneumatic cylinder should be. Thank you.

Attachments

• H132a5a5300574afcb761c907285ba579t.jpg
    H132a5a5300574afcb761c907285ba579t.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 104
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
That is a big project you are taking on. How automatic do you need it to be?

You will need a 120 psi air compressor to provide air for the pneumatic cylinder, and a system capable of controlling the solenoid valves while operating the machine through the programmed cycle. You will also need a couple of 1 kW hotplates, with thermostats to regulate the temperature.

There are more details here about a similar machine.
http://www.gtfoodmachine.com/product/gt-lm30q-pneumatic-type-tortilla-press-machine-900pcsh/

• Informative
Likes anorlunda and Lnewqban
Thank you for your assistance. Sorry that I forgot about the hot plate part which i don't need.
My goal is to have the operator press a button and have the pneumatic air cylinder press the dough ball and then retract afterwards.
As i am very new to this could you please recommend a pneumatic air cylinder size and other related parts and accessories from the link below. Thanks you.[Mentor Note -- a possible spam link has been deleted from this post]

Last edited by a moderator:
novinox said:
My goal is to have the operator press a button and have the pneumatic air cylinder press the dough ball and then retract afterwards.
You better make that TWO buttons to press, with logic so they must both be released before the next cycle can start.

That way a hand does not accidentally get formed into a tortilla shape!

The "must both be released" requirement is so one button can not be taped down to start the next cycle by pushing just the other button.

Here in the US, that, or a similarly effective safety feature, has been required on presses for at least 40 years. Too many people lost hands!:cry:

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
The area of the piston in the pneumatic cylinder will be proportional to the area of the disks you use. That assumes the dough has fixed characteristics.
What diameter disks will you use ?

I'm looking to make 7inch tortilla with 2-5mm thickness, so i want to have an 8inch disc.
Also can you advice me on what parts i need to get to make such a machine so that i can start making the frame and assemble everything and fix what ever errors i might have made. ( like the size/strength of pneumatic cylinder, air filter type, type of switch...).

novinox said:
I'm looking to make 7inch tortilla with 2-5mm thickness, so i want to have an 8inch disc.
If you do not need the plates to be heated, then why not use a hand operated press that is available for about US $30. Search eBay or Amazon for Tortilla Press.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353897072952?

You will need to cook the tortillas at the rate you press them, so you have more than a minute to operate the press between cooking and stacking the previous item. A hand press has about 50 times lever advantage, so it should not be difficult.

I cannot see any reason for having a pneumatic press, with all the ancillary controls necessary to make it safe, if it is not also cooking the product.
Have I failed to understand your requirements and reasoning ?

Likes berkeman
I wanted to assemble everything on a frame with a conveyor type belt with motorized rollers and have the dough balls placed between two sheets of thin plastic and have it move forward after each press. Each pressed tortilla would be covered in plastic for freezing. I saw some machines online and wanted to make one myself so i thought someone might tell me the suitable parts needed for the pneumatics ,anyways thank you.

Post #1 does not have enough information to properly help you:
novinox said:
Hi, I am trying to build a tortilla pressing device.
Post #3 has a little more information:
novinox said:
And a little more in Post #6:
novinox said:
Post #8 changes the scope of your project. Now it's a complete machine:
novinox said:
I wanted to assemble everything on a frame with a conveyor type belt with motorized rollers and have the dough balls placed between two sheets of thin plastic and have it move forward after each press. Each pressed tortilla would be covered in plastic for freezing.
But we still do not have enough information to help you. We need to know more in order to start helping you. For a start:

1) What is the time per tortilla? This is needed to size pneumatic components and the air compressor.

2) We can help break down the time per tortilla into the time to feed the next tortilla, press it, and raise the presser to make room for the following tortilla.

3) What is the force to compress the tortilla in the time calculated in Step 2? You need to measure this before we can help you size an air cylinder.

4) You need to know about food safety requirements in your country because those requirements affect what components you are allowed to use in a food production line.

I am assuming that you have already figured out how to make tortilla dough, how to make exact size balls of tortilla dough, feed those balls onto your conveyor, control the conveyor, and stack the pressed tortillas.

Likes berkeman
I actually wanted to make this machine myself, but i don't think i can finish this before Ramadan time so for for now I've decided to purchase a cheap doughball pressing machine from China.

I am also very thankful to Baluncore, Tom.G and jrmichler for taking your time to respond and also i do apologize for not providing enough details before posting my request.
Hopefully before the end of April i will have finished the body and motorized conveyor for the machine and at that time i hope everyone can assist in designing and automation of the pneumatic press and conveyor.
Once again thank you all.

Likes Tom.G
Note: The John Steinbeck novel “Tortilla Flat” went to press in 1935.

If there is no cooking, then there is no need for the circular plates on the production line. A simple roller based system could be used. That would eliminate the handling problems of loading the lump of dough, and removing the pressed tortilla. That also eliminates the compressed air, the pneumatic cylinder, and most of the cyclic control.

We can try to reverse engineer from a picture of a unit with a 300 mm plate.
Plate outer diam = 224 - 27 = 197 pixels. That is 300 / 197 = 1.523 mm / pixel.
Cylinder diam = 162 - 84 = 78 px; 78 * 1.523 = 118.8 mm; Probably 4 inch bore.
Rod diam = 138 - 116 = 22 px; 22* 1.523=33.5 mm. Probably 1.25 inch diam rod.
Stroke = 215 - 141 = 74 px; 74 * 1.523 = 112.7 mm. Probably 4.5 inch stroke.

Scale by area of circle. Area = Pi * r^2
Area of 280 mm (11") tortilla = Pi * ( 11” / 2)^2 = 95.0 inch²
Area of piston in cylinder = Pi * ( 4” / 2)^2 = 12.5 inch²
Assume air pressure is 100 psi, then force = 12.5 * 100 = 1250 lbs on rod.
That works out at 1250 / 96 = 13.0 psi on the tortilla dough.

To press an 8” diameter, with area = Pi * (8 / 2)^2 = 50. inch²
You will need to press 50 * 13 = 650 pounds.
Using the same 100 psi air you need a cylinder area of 6.5 inches.
Sqrt( 6.5” / pi ) = 1.43” radius = 3” diameter pneumatic cylinder.
A 1 inch rod would be sufficient.
The stroke would not change, it would remain about 4½ inch stroke.

Likes anorlunda and berkeman
Baluncore said:
Note: The John Steinbeck novel “Tortilla Flat” went to press in 1935.

:-p

1. What is the purpose of identifying the parts needed?

Identifying the parts needed is important in order to properly repair or build a specific object or machine. It ensures that the correct parts are used and that the final product will function correctly.

2. How do I go about identifying the parts needed?

The first step is to thoroughly examine the object or machine and make note of any missing or broken parts. Then, you can consult the manufacturer's manual or do research online to determine the specific parts needed.

3. Can I use substitute parts instead of the original ones?

In some cases, substitute parts may work as a temporary solution. However, it is always best to use the original parts recommended by the manufacturer to ensure proper functioning and safety.

4. What if I cannot find the exact part I need?

If the exact part is not available, you can try contacting the manufacturer or a specialized supplier to see if they have a similar part that will work. You can also consider consulting a professional for assistance.

5. Are there any safety concerns when identifying and replacing parts?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when identifying and replacing parts. Make sure to turn off any power sources and wear protective gear if necessary. If you are unsure about the process, it is best to seek professional help.