Robot Arms -- which pneumatic cylinders and valves to use?

In summary, the individual is seeking to create a robotic arm using pneumatic valves and cylinders, and is considering using a 5/2 function. They are unsure about their design specifications and have not done much research on other pneumatic arms. They are also considering the use of pneumatics for speed, but are concerned about poor position control.
Patrick23
Hi,

Im trying to make robotic arms actuated by pneumatic valve which I found here http://www.e-pneumatic.com/valves/pneumatic-valves.html

And also cylinders here http://www.e-pneumatic.com/pneumatic-cylinders.html and I wanted to ask if one of these cylinder types would work as a robotic arm along with one of pneumatic valves - I still don't know which function I should choose, but I am more towards 5/2 what you guys think?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your design spec? What sort of velocities, forces & position control accuracies do you want to achieve?
What research have you done? What do other pneumatic arms use? there's over 44,000 videos on youtube relating to "pneumatic robot arm", are there any on there that look appropriate? Can you provide a direct link to the '5/2'?

Why pneumatics ?
Pneumatics will give you speed, but will have poor position control with some bounce.
Hydraulics will give you lots of power and stability, but not speed.
Electric motor driven ball-screw actuators will not be as fast as pneumatics or as strong as hydraulics, but they will give you something that is reasonably strong, quick and can be positioned accurately.

1. What is the difference between single-acting and double-acting pneumatic cylinders?

Single-acting pneumatic cylinders use compressed air to move the piston in one direction, and a spring or other mechanism to return the piston back to its original position. Double-acting cylinders use compressed air to move the piston in both directions, allowing for more precise control and greater force.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size of pneumatic cylinder for my robot arm?

The size of the pneumatic cylinder needed for a robot arm depends on several factors, including the weight of the objects being lifted, the required speed and force of the arm, and the overall design of the arm. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a pneumatic expert to determine the appropriate size for your specific application.

3. What type of valve is best suited for controlling the movement of a pneumatic robot arm?

There are several types of pneumatic valves that can be used to control the movement of a robot arm, including directional control valves, flow control valves, and pressure control valves. The most suitable type of valve will depend on the specific needs and design of the robot arm, and may require a combination of different valves to achieve the desired results.

4. Can I use electrically-controlled valves instead of pneumatic valves for my robot arm?

While electrically-controlled valves are an option for controlling the movement of a robot arm, pneumatic valves are typically preferred due to their faster response time, lower cost, and ability to handle higher pressures. Additionally, pneumatic valves are better suited for use in industrial environments where there may be exposure to dust, debris, or extreme temperatures.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my robot arm's pneumatic system?

It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the pneumatic components of a robot arm to ensure safe and proper functioning. This includes checking for leaks, ensuring proper lubrication, and replacing any damaged or worn parts. It is also important to follow all recommended safety guidelines and protocols when operating the robot arm, and to provide proper training for anyone who will be using it.