Need help with Finding absolute magnitude

In summary: You may find it useful.In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the absolute magnitude of a star with a period of 7 days using the equation Mv = - [2.76 (log10(P) - 1.0)] - 4.16, and is unable to do so without a calculator.
Michael c17
Homework Statement
Need to solve this equation
Relevant Equations
Mv = - [2.76 (log10(P) - 1.0)] - 4.16
P is = to 7 and I don't know how to get the absolute magnitude please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael c17 said:
Homework Statement:: Need to solve this equation
Relevant Equations:: Mv = - [2.76 (log10(P) - 1.0)] - 4.16

P is = to 7 and I don't know how to get the absolute magnitude please help.
Please post the whole question as given to you. Define any variables that would only be obvious to someone versed in astronomy.
The "relevant equations " section is for standard equations, not any that only relate to the given problem. Maybe that is a standard equation.. I don't know.

And, per forum rules, please show some attempt, or at least provide your thinking so far.

I don't understand what your saying, there is the equation and 7 is P I just need someone to plug it in and give me Mv since I don't have a calculator that can do that. Sorry I'm not versed in your forum rules. I'm just trying to find the absolute magnitude of a star using only the period in days which is 7.

Michael c17 said:
I just need someone to plug it in and give me Mv
That's a key piece of information right there, that Mv (##M_v##?) is one variable, not two.
You confused me by saying you needed to solve the equation. What you are asking for is merely to evaluate an expression.

I find it hard to believe there exists any calculator that cannot do this. Just google online calculator and you will find several.
If you mean that you cannot do the whole expression in one hit, just do it in stages.

Likes Steve4Physics
@Michael c17, have you a smart-phone? My (low-end) phone has a calculator which includes 'advanced options' with log₁₀, brackets, trig' functions, etc. Check yours if you have one.

1. What is absolute magnitude?

Absolute magnitude is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of a celestial object, such as a star or galaxy. It is defined as the apparent magnitude (brightness as seen from Earth) of the object if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) away from Earth.

2. How is absolute magnitude different from apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of the brightness of a celestial object as seen from Earth. It is affected by the distance between the object and Earth, as well as any intervening objects that may block or dim the object's light. Absolute magnitude, on the other hand, is a measure of the object's intrinsic brightness and is not affected by distance.

3. How is absolute magnitude calculated?

Absolute magnitude is calculated using the formula M = m - 5(log(d/10)), where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance to the object in parsecs. This formula takes into account the inverse square law of light, which states that the brightness of an object decreases with the square of the distance from the observer.

4. Why is absolute magnitude important in astronomy?

Absolute magnitude is important in astronomy because it allows for the comparison of the intrinsic brightness of celestial objects, regardless of their distance from Earth. This helps astronomers to understand the true nature and characteristics of these objects, and to classify them into different groups based on their absolute magnitude.

5. How can absolute magnitude be used to determine the size and temperature of a star?

The absolute magnitude of a star is directly related to its luminosity, or total amount of energy emitted. By knowing the absolute magnitude and using other measurements such as the star's color and spectral type, astronomers can determine the star's size and temperature. This information is crucial in understanding the life cycle and evolution of stars.