Need Help with Laplace Homework Equations: Solving for Capacitor Voltage

• Thread starter etotheix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's current law and Laplace to find the equation for the voltage of a capacitor in a circuit with resistors. The individual presents their attempt at a solution and asks for help identifying their mistake. They also mention the use of variables and constants in their problem.
etotheix

Homework Statement

7_12.png

Homework Equations

For a capacitor: i=C(de/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchhoff's current law at the note above the resistor R2 I get the following equation, which I believe is right:

C(e0' - ei') + (e0 - ei)/R1 + e0/R2 = 0

Then, since the source has a constant voltage of A, I set ei' = 0 and ei = A and use Laplace to find the eo(t)

e0' + e0( 1/(C*R1) + 1/(C*R2) ) = A/(C*R1)

to facilitate the algebra:

1/(C*R1) + 1/(C*R2) = ( R1 + R2 )/( C*R1*R2 ) = ε1
A/( C*R1 ) = ε2

Then,

sE0 - E0(0) + (ε1)E0 = (ε2)/s

=> E0(0) = 0

E0( s + (ε1) ) = (ε2)/s

using partial fractions:

E0 = (ε2)/( s( s + (ε1) ) ) = A/s + B/( s+(ε1) )

A = ε2/ε1 and B = -ε2/ε1

ε2/ε1 = ( A*R2 )/( R1 + R2 )

E0 = (ε2/ε1)/s - (ε2/ε1)/( s + ε1 )

e0 = (ε2/ε1) - (ε2/ε1)e^(-ε1*t)

e0 = ( A )/( R1 + R2 )*( R2 - R2*ε1*t )

But I know that the answer to this problem is:

e0 = ( A )/( R1 + R2 )*( R2 - R1*ε1*t )

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to post in the math section, you should replace variables with x,y,z et cetera, and constants with a,b,c et cetera

Sorry I am just trying to be consistent with the problem statement. Maybe I posted in the wrong forum (although my question is related to Laplace and not the circuit itself), maybe a moderator can move this to Homework & Coursework Questions > Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology ?

Thanks.

Related to Need Help with Laplace Homework Equations: Solving for Capacitor Voltage

1. What is Laplace transformation?

The Laplace transformation is a mathematical tool used to simplify and solve differential equations. It converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and solve problems in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

2. How do I perform a Laplace transformation?

To perform a Laplace transformation, you need to apply the Laplace operator to a given function. This involves integrating the function multiplied by an exponential term. The resulting expression is called the Laplace transform of the original function.

3. What are the applications of Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation has various applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze electronic circuits, model dynamic systems, and study signal processing.

4. Can Laplace transformation be reversed?

Yes, Laplace transformation can be reversed using the inverse Laplace transformation. This converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain, allowing us to obtain the original function from its Laplace transform.

5. Are there any limitations to Laplace transformation?

While Laplace transformation is a powerful mathematical tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to linear systems, and it assumes that the initial conditions of a system are zero. Also, the inverse Laplace transformation may not always exist for certain functions.