Solving for Image Charges in Dielectrics

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for solving a conductor problem when one dielectric has a much larger permittivity than the other. The speaker shares their attempt at the solution, placing image charges in quadrant one and finding satisfactory results for quadrants two and four, but struggling to find an image charge for quadrant three. They also question the necessity of certain image charges and suggest a different approach for finding the potential or field inside the blue dielectric.
Andy123

Homework Statement

The question is attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the question would return to a typical conductor problem when ε2 >> ε1 so for the quadrant one, I placed image charges of q_1 at (d1 , 0 , -d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and another q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2) with q1 = (ε1 - ε2)*q/(ε1 + ε2). When I applies the boundary conditions, I find that the image charges for quadrant two is q - q_1 at (d1 , 0 , d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2), for quadrant four is q - q_1 at (d1 , 0 , d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and another q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2). The boundary conditions are well satisfies with these image charges. However, I failed to find image charges for quadrant three satisfying both the continuity of electric field and voltage at the boundaries connecting it with quadrant two and four. I have been working on this question for days and I am really frustrated. Is my attempt of approach is incorrect? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 6.41.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 6.41.28 PM.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 451
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andy123 said:
for the quadrant one, I placed image charges of q_1 at (d1 , 0 , -d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and another q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2) with q1 = (ε1 - ε2)*q/(ε1 + ε2).
OK
When I applies the boundary conditions, I find that the image charges for quadrant two is q - q_1 at (d1 , 0 , d2), -q1 at (-d1 , 0 , -d2) and q1 at (-d1 , 0 , d2)
Are the q1 and -q1 necessary here? Can you satisfy the boundary conditions with just the q - q1 charge?

When finding the potential or field inside the blue dielectric, I don't think you need to work with each of the three blue quadrants separately. See if you can treat the entire blue dielectric with just one image charge.

1. What is the image method in dielectrics?

The image method in dielectrics is a mathematical technique used to calculate the electric field and potential in a region containing a dielectric material. It involves creating a mirrored image of the dielectric material and considering the effects of both the original material and its image on the electric field.

2. How does the image method work?

The image method works by using the principle of superposition, where the electric field and potential due to the original dielectric material and its image are added together to determine the total electric field and potential in the region.

3. What are the applications of the image method in dielectrics?

The image method is commonly used in the study of electrostatics, particularly in problems involving conductors and dielectric interfaces. It is also used in the design and analysis of capacitors, transmission lines, and other electrical devices.

4. Are there any limitations to the image method in dielectrics?

Yes, there are some limitations to the image method in dielectrics. It assumes that the dielectric material is a perfect insulator, which may not be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account the effects of charges on the surface of the dielectric material.

5. How does the image method differ from the method of images?

The image method in dielectrics is a specific application of the more general method of images, which is used to solve problems in electrostatics. The main difference is that the image method in dielectrics involves considering the effects of both the original material and its image, while the method of images only considers the effects of the image.