How Do You Input Formulas for Surface Area Calculations in Maple?

In summary: Hope that helps!In summary, the person is trying to find the area of a certain region of a surface that lies above a certain value of x and y, but they are having syntax problems.
jweie29nh
I can't input this formula,

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

This is suppose to represent a function of surface of area with double integrals. I'm struggling inputting the codes into evaluate the equation.
It would be convenient if help was given

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for trying to help but that won't help too much

jweie29nh said:
I can't input this formula,

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

This is suppose to represent a function of surface of area with double integrals.
It is unclear to me what you are trying to do mathematically, i.e. even without thinking yet about how to input it in Maple. Could you explain more?

The area of the surface with equation z

Don't you have any boundaries given for the surface? If not, the area is infinite and it is pointless to calculate it with Maple. If your task is written somewhere, please let ut know the exact wording.

Your suppose to find the area of the part of the surface that lies above square lxl +lyl < 1
and draw a graph

It didn't help, this is the type of cal 3 problem that I am referring to http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfaceArea.aspx.

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

I'm suppose to find the area of the part of the surface that lies above square lxl +lyl < 1
and draw a graph

and I can't seem to find the right code to put into solve equation

First, differentiate z w.r,t x and y, with Maple. Plug these partial derivatives into your formula for (the element of) surface area. Then evaluate with Maple the double integral of this over the region I suggested and multiply by 4.

jweie29nh said:
It didn't help, this is the type of cal 3 problem that I am referring to http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfaceArea.aspx.

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

I'm suppose to find the area of the part of the surface that lies above square lxl +lyl < 1
and draw a graph

and I can't seem to find the right code to put into solve equation

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but are you just having syntax problems? For example the assignment statement should be z:=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2); Note the colon and the ending semicolon. Then the partial with respect to x would be something like zsubx := diff(z,x);

1. What is Maple programming?

Maple programming is a computer language used for mathematical computations and data analysis. It is often used in academic and scientific fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How can I learn Maple programming?

There are various resources available for learning Maple programming, such as online tutorials, official Maple documentation, and books. It is also helpful to practice and experiment with the language on your own.

3. What are the benefits of using Maple programming?

Maple programming offers a wide range of mathematical and data analysis functions, making it a powerful tool for scientific research. It also has a user-friendly interface and allows for easy visualization of data.

4. Can Maple programming be used for data analysis?

Yes, Maple programming has built-in functions for data analysis, such as statistical tests, regression analysis, and data visualization. It is commonly used in fields that require extensive data analysis, such as economics and engineering.

5. Is Maple programming difficult to learn?

Like any programming language, Maple may have a learning curve for beginners. However, with practice and dedication, it can be learned by individuals with no prior programming experience. It also has a user-friendly interface, making it easier to learn compared to other programming languages.