Need Ideas on Where to go For a Physics Internship

In summary, you are looking for an internship to study physics at a college or university, and you are not sure which one has the best opportunities.
JaredGray
Hey,
I have been given the opportunity to go on a free six-week internship at almost any college or university around the country, and I need help finding out which colleges and universities have great physics opportunities along with people who are willing to take a 17 year old. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
JaredGray said:
I have been given the opportunity to go on a free six-week internship at almost any college or university around the country, and I need help finding out which colleges and universities have great physics opportunities along with people who are willing to take a 17 year old.
I'm confused, first you say you already have an internship almost anywhere, then you are asking where you can find an internship. Can you clarify what you mean?

Evo said:
I'm confused, first you say you already have an internship almost anywhere, then you are asking where you can find an internship. Can you clarify what you mean?
Sorry for the confusion, I'm unsure of what university or college has the best internships for students interesting in studying physics, and I was hoping that someone could help me what colleges to look at to see if I'm interesting in any of the internship possibilities there. I hope that clears up the confusion, but I am very bad at explaining thing.

JaredGray said:
Sorry for the confusion, I'm unsure of what university or college has the best internships for students interesting in studying physics, and I was hoping that someone could help me what colleges to look at to see if I'm interesting in any of the internship possibilities there. I hope that clears up the confusion, but I am very bad at explaining thing.
Ok, that makes more sense, thanks! Don't worry, it may be that I am the slow one and that it was clear to everyone else!

1. What types of companies offer physics internships?

There are a variety of companies that offer physics internships, including technology companies, research institutions, government agencies, and universities. Some examples include NASA, Google, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and Harvard University.

2. What qualifications do I need to have for a physics internship?

Most physics internships require applicants to have completed at least two years of undergraduate coursework in physics, mathematics, or a related field. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as experience with computer programming, are also highly valued by employers.

3. How can I find available physics internships?

You can start by searching online job boards and company websites for open internships. Your university's career center may also have resources and connections to help you find internships in your field. Networking with professors, peers, and professionals in the field can also be helpful in discovering potential internship opportunities.

4. What can I expect to gain from a physics internship?

A physics internship can provide valuable hands-on experience in a professional setting, allowing you to apply the theories and concepts you have learned in the classroom. You may also have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, develop new skills, and make important connections in the field.

5. How can I make my application stand out for a physics internship?

To make your application stand out, be sure to highlight any relevant coursework, research experience, and technical skills on your resume. You can also include a cover letter that showcases your passion for physics and explains why you are interested in the specific internship opportunity. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation and a polished and professional online presence can also help make a good impression on potential employers.