Need some guidance on what to self study this summer

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's upcoming semester as an EE major. They mention their classes, which include Introduction to Circuits and Electronics, C Programming for EE/ECE, Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations with Linear Algebra, and Gen Physics 2 (E&M). The speaker plans on buying books and starting early on two of their classes to potentially free up time for research opportunities. The conversation also touches on the importance of reviewing old calculus notes and familiarizing oneself with C programming before the semester begins. Overall, the speaker is looking for input and advice, but also emphasizes the importance of not stressing too much and enjoying the summer.
DrummingAtom
So this fall is going to be my first full semester as an EE major. Here's my classes:

Introduction to Circuits and Electronics

This course introduces linear circuit analysis and design including extensive use of op amps. Presents DC networks, including node and mesh analysis with controlled sources. Analysis of RL and RC circuits for both transient and sinusoidal steady-state responses using phasors.

C Programming for EE/ECE

No course description.

Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations with Linear Algebra

Introduces ordinary differential equations, systems of linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear differential equations.

Gen Physics 2 (E&M)

Covers electricity and magnetism, wave motion, and optics.

Pretty much everything is going to be new to me. I plan on buying the books for each class very soon. I want to have a big head start on at least 2 of these classes so I can free up some time to get into a research group (hopefully). I'm not quite sure which classes will be difficult, so I'm just looking for some experience input. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say relax and have some fun over the summer.

Chances are (not to be overly cynical) that you won't get into a research group (in the formal sense, doing work for a professor) until you have some more classes under your belt (this doesn't mean you shouldn't try, of course).

E&M and circuits will have some overlap, so that may prove to be helpful.

C will be entirely foreign, but if you are semi-interested in programming, and don't completely ignore the class, I don't think you will have a problem with it.

Differential equations and Linear Algebra will essentially be a continuation of your previous calculus courses, just from a new angel (and of course with some focus on linear algebra, but I would venture a guess that it is predominately a differential equations course)As I said, I wouldn't stress over it too much. Go in with a clear head ready to go..Don't burn yourself out before it even starts.

That being said, I would brush over my old calculus I and II notes if I were you (integration techniques and a general knowledge of calculus I and II will be important), and check out some of the basic syntax and format of C, so that it's a little more familiar ( http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~ir/KS/Data/RMiles/contents.html --- from a google search).

To stress the fact that you shouldn't spend the whole summer doing this (or at least I wouldn't recommend it -- you will have to study it next fall anyway, so why go into too much depth now), I just want to say that if i were you i'd wait until a month or so before classes start and just do some basic review then.

My two cents. Feel free to add or debate.

edit: If you do want to study over the summer, and if registration isn't closed, you could consider taking a course at a local college. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need some guidance on what to self study this summer

1. What are some tips for choosing what to self-study?

When deciding what to self-study, it's important to consider your interests, goals, and current knowledge level. Make a list of subjects or skills you want to learn and prioritize them based on relevance to your career or personal development. It's also helpful to set specific and achievable goals for your self-study, such as completing a certain number of chapters or projects.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-studying?

One way to stay motivated is to break your self-study into smaller, manageable chunks. This allows you to see progress and stay motivated to continue. It's also helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and reward yourself for completing your goals.

3. Are there any resources or materials you recommend for self-studying?

There are many resources available for self-study, such as textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and practice exercises. It's best to choose resources that align with your learning style and goals. You can also consult with a mentor or expert in the field to get recommendations for specific resources.

4. How can I ensure I am effectively learning and retaining information while self-studying?

To effectively learn and retain information while self-studying, it's important to use active learning techniques. This can include taking notes, summarizing key concepts, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to regularly review the material and test yourself to identify any areas that need more focus.

5. Is it possible to receive recognition or certification for self-study?

Yes, there are various ways to receive recognition or certification for self-study. You can take online courses or exams and receive a certificate upon completion. There are also professional organizations that offer certifications for certain skills or subjects. Additionally, you can showcase your self-study projects or skills on your resume or portfolio to demonstrate your knowledge and dedication to learning.