Need to interview a Mechanical Engineer

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a first-year Mechanical Engineering major at Cal Poly to interview a Mechanical Engineer for a Technical Writing class. The student asked about common genres in the field of mechanical engineering, the necessary communication skills for success, the most challenging communication skills and strategies for improvement, changes in the field and how it affects communication practices, and exciting new trends in the field. However, due to the PF's rules against interview-type threads, the thread was closed and the student was encouraged to post in the Academic Guidance or Career Guidance forums for any questions related to studying ME or applying for ME jobs.
Sophie Carson
I am a first-year Mechanical Engineering major at Cal Poly, and I need to interview a Mechanical Engineer for my Technical Writing class. If you have a few minutes and could answer these five questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

What are common genres in the field of mechanical engineering? Are some genres more important than others? If so, why? *(By genre, I mean a category of document with a shared format and purpose. i.e. memos, usability reports, etc.)

What kinds of communication skills are needed to be successful in the field?

What communication skills seem to be most challenging for people in the field? Do you know of any strategies to improve these communication skills?

How is the field of mechanical engineering changing? Are communication practices also changing?

What new trends in the field seem particularly exciting to you?​

Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Sophie.

Unfortunately for your project, we do not allow interview-type threads at the PF. That is in the rules that you agreed to when you joined the PF. The reason is that many such threads ask for personal information, and are phishing attempts in disguise. Your thread start does not seem to be that on the face of it, but could turn into it if you PM'ed responders asking for verification of their degrees/qualifications.

Please feed this back to your instructor -- this should not be an assignment in their class. It is irresponsible, IMO, and so 10 years ago. :smile:

Instead, if you have questions about studying ME or applying for ME jobs, please free to post in our Academic Guidance or Career Guidance forums.

This thread is closed. Please send me a Private Message (PM) if you would like to discuss this further.

1. What is your educational background in Mechanical Engineering?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from XYZ University and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABC University.

2. What experience do you have in the field of Mechanical Engineering?

I have worked as a Mechanical Engineer for 5 years at various companies, including XYZ Corporation and DEF Industries. I have experience in designing, analyzing, and testing mechanical systems.

3. What software or tools are you proficient in as a Mechanical Engineer?

I am proficient in various CAD software, such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks, as well as simulation software like ANSYS and COMSOL. I also have experience with programming languages like MATLAB and Python.

4. How do you stay updated on the latest developments in the field of Mechanical Engineering?

I regularly attend conferences and workshops related to Mechanical Engineering and am an active member of professional organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). I also stay updated through reading research papers and industry publications.

5. Can you give an example of a successful project you have worked on as a Mechanical Engineer?

One of the most successful projects I have worked on was designing an energy-efficient HVAC system for a commercial building. I utilized my knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to optimize the system's design, resulting in significant cost savings for the client.