Networking Virtual Machines: Best Practices

In summary: If you set the name to something like VM1, when you start up the VM it will have that name.In summary,- You can put a VM on a network assuming the VM has access to a NIC card.- That VM could be added to the domain, and you could log into that VM using accounts in the active directory for that domain.- If you looked for computers on your domain, you would also find your VM.- It would be for all intents and purposes, just another computer on the domain.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi just curious,
Are there standard methods for putting several Virtual Machines in a network?

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Do you mean like Docker containers?
Thanks, not sure exactly, but I am just looking to have them be able to share resources (I am thinking mostly Active Directory) and communicate with each other in general, as standard physical machines do.

There are three types of virtual networks: Bridged, NAT, and Host-only. When you create a new VM or add a NIC to an existing VM, you assign the NIC(s) to a virtual network, thereby giving it access to any other VMs configured on the same network.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Thanks, not sure exactly, but I am just looking to have them be able to share resources (I am thinking mostly Active Directory) and communicate with each other in general, as standard physical machines do.

Yes. You can put a VM on a network assuming the VM has access to a NIC card. That VM could be added to the domain, and you could log into that VM using accounts in the active directory for that domain. If you looked for computers on your domain, you would also find your VM. That VM would be able to access whatever resources a physical computer on that domain could access. It would be for all intents and purposes, just another computer on the domain.

There ARE differences. But, for the scope of your question - they aren't relevant.

Likes WWGD
Thanks all, it seems like just moving all VMs into the same domain has done the job.

VMs are supposed to be agnostic to the hardware they are running on. As long as their ips are different, there should be no issue. Sometimes you'll have to use a bridged adapter through the host though.

Likes WWGD
newjerseyrunner said:
VMs are supposed to be agnostic to the hardware they are running on. As long as their ips are different, there should be no issue. Sometimes you'll have to use a bridged adapter through the host though.
Thanks, Runner. Does the idea of having them in the same domain ( in windows) work in general too?

WWGD said:
Thanks, Runner. Does the idea of having them in the same domain ( in windows) work in general too?
Yeah, part of my job is to manage some of my companies windows servers. I've virtualized all of them and they're all on the same domain.

As long as they each have their own ip and computer name. Ip you set in network and sharing, right click on the connection, properties, IPv4, properties. The computer name, right click on my computer and a select properties.

Likes WWGD

1. What is the purpose of networking virtual machines?

The purpose of networking virtual machines is to allow multiple virtual machines to communicate with each other and with external networks. This enables them to share resources and data, and to access the internet or other external services.

2. What are some best practices for networking virtual machines?

Some best practices for networking virtual machines include using a dedicated virtual network for communication between virtual machines, setting up network security policies, regularly monitoring and optimizing network performance, and implementing redundancy and failover mechanisms.

3. How can I ensure secure communication between virtual machines?

To ensure secure communication between virtual machines, you can use virtual private networks (VPNs), implement firewalls and access controls, and use encryption technologies such as SSL or IPsec. It is also important to regularly update and patch virtual machines to prevent security vulnerabilities.

4. Can virtual machines from different providers be networked together?

Yes, virtual machines from different providers can be networked together as long as they are connected to the same virtual network and have compatible networking configurations. However, it is important to carefully consider and test the compatibility and performance of cross-provider virtual machine networking before implementation.

5. What are some common challenges when networking virtual machines?

Some common challenges when networking virtual machines include managing network performance and bandwidth, configuring and maintaining network security, troubleshooting network connectivity issues, and ensuring compatibility between virtual machines and their host environments. It is important to regularly review and update network configurations to address these challenges.