New introductory Quantum Mechanics book from Schwichtenberg

In summary, the conversation revolves around books on physics and math, particularly a Group Theory book and a newly released Quantum Mechanics book by the author, Jakob Schwichtenberg. The participants discuss various other books and resources for learning, with a focus on computational approaches and the author's personal life. One participant asks for book recommendations for their son, who is self-studying calculus, and receives suggestions for books by McMahon and Schwichtenberg. The conversation ends with a mention of the author's recently released Electrodynamics book and a book on using physics principles in economics.
Physics news on Phys.org
smodak said:
I liked his Group Theory book
You mean the one entitled "Physics of Symmetry"?

Wrichik Basu said:

Yes - and I too like it a lot. But fairness compels me to mention some have written to me, thanking me for posting about it, and like it as I do, while others were less enthused. Anyway got the new book and will post what I think.

Thanks
Bill

Likes smodak
It cites my "myths and facts" review in the (relatively small) Bibliography. I must read that book! :smile:

Likes weirdoguy, vanhees71 and smodak
Wrichik Basu said:
Yup

Likes Wrichik Basu
Well, sounds like a deja vu. The only difference is that I got hooked up to math by a book named something like "Mathematics for Engineers", which I got in the public library, because I wanted to get better grades in math, and I couldnt' make sense of what was in the official high school textbooks. I don't tell about my math teachers. This makes me too sad when I think back...

Likes SolarisOne and atyy
I'm curious if anyone has read Schwichtenberg's new introductory Quantum Mechanics book yet? If so could you post a comment or two about it?

Asking for my son, he's 13, he's just exploring on his own and has been hopping around using all kinds of sources, including the MIT EdX classes, a calculus textbook, Perimeter Institute video lectures, etc. He's been working backwards with Google quite a lot to figure things out... no idea what other resources he has found online (you can tell I'm skeptical), but I'd like to get a couple of basic textbooks to help him out. Also thinking of Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. He seems to like the no-nonsense quantitative approaches (he really loved this "No BS Guide"), even though he's learning calculus on the fly.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Wrichik Basu and Demystifier
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
lizbird said:
Asking for my son, he's 13
What is your son's math background so far? Has he studied any calculus? How about your math background? Would you be able to answer his calculus-related questions when needed in his reading in those sources? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is your son's math background so far? Has he studied any calculus? How about your math background? Would you be able to answer his calculus-related questions when needed in his reading in those sources? :smile:

He's self-studying calculus, I guess. He did trig first on his own. He seems pretty determined to do it himself - he does get frustrated at times, but keeps searching until he finally finds a better explanation. He never moves on until he really understands something, he's far more patient than I am. (This is all a nice way to say - he is really stubborn!) He also has a patient math teacher who answers his calculus questions in Common Core Math 2 class, aka "Geometry" (he's in 8th grade but has a high school math teacher who also teaches Calc BC)

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Likes Demystifier

1. What is the level of difficulty for this book?

The book is designed for students with a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. However, it also covers more advanced topics, so it can be challenging for beginners.

2. What sets this book apart from other introductory quantum mechanics books?

This book focuses on the conceptual understanding of quantum mechanics rather than just mathematical formalism. It also includes numerous worked examples and exercises to reinforce understanding.

3. Does the book cover both non-relativistic and relativistic quantum mechanics?

Yes, the book covers both non-relativistic and relativistic quantum mechanics, providing a comprehensive introduction to the subject.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

Basic knowledge of calculus and linear algebra is recommended. Familiarity with classical mechanics and electromagnetism can also be helpful, but is not necessary.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It includes numerous exercises and worked examples, making it suitable for self-study, but can also be used as a textbook for a course on introductory quantum mechanics.