New to the Einstein notation, having trouble with basic calculations

Ineedhelpimbadatphys
Homework Statement
picture below.
Relevant Equations
no equations, but I am most interested in c), d), g) and e). I would like to know if my attempts are correct. If not, what am I doing wrong?
We are using minkowski metric.
IMG_2210.jpeg
?hash=cceb4ce37c5fbf4c97f1a43dd1194424.jpg
IMG_2518.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 20
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but (c) seems correct, if long-winded. You could just say ##A^{(ab)}=\frac 12(A^{ab}+A^{ba})## by definition.

Similarly (d), where you can just say ##A^{[ab]}=\frac 12(A^{ab}-A^{ba})## by definition. I suspect going the long way round got you into a pickle here, because you've somehow ended up with extra factors of the metric that shouldn't be there. (By the way, don't put commas between indices. Some people use ##V_{a,b}## as shorthand for ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_b}V_a##, and you're liable to be misinterpreted.)

Your approach to (g) and (h) (did you mean (h) or (e)?) appears correct, but I'm not sure you've lowered indices correctly on the tensor. What are the components of ##\eta_{ab}## in your convention?

1. How do I represent summation in Einstein notation?

In Einstein notation, summation is represented by placing a subscript and a superscript on a repeated index. For example, the sum of a vector A can be represented as A_i = A^1 + A^2 + A^3.

2. How do I perform basic vector operations in Einstein notation?

Basic vector operations, such as addition and multiplication, can be performed in Einstein notation by using the repeated index convention. For example, the dot product of two vectors A and B can be written as A_iB^i.

3. How do I differentiate between covariant and contravariant indices in Einstein notation?

In Einstein notation, covariant indices are represented with subscripts, while contravariant indices are represented with superscripts. Covariant indices are associated with basis vectors, while contravariant indices are associated with components of a vector.

4. How do I raise and lower indices in Einstein notation?

Indices can be raised and lowered in Einstein notation using the metric tensor. Raising an index is done by multiplying by the metric tensor, while lowering an index is done by multiplying by the inverse metric tensor.

5. How do I perform tensor contraction in Einstein notation?

To perform tensor contraction in Einstein notation, you simply set two indices equal to each other and sum over them. For example, the contraction of a tensor T with indices T^ij and T_jk would be represented as T^ijT_jk.