Newton's First Law to explain Washing Machine Spin Cycle

In summary, the picture depicts an example of Plateau-Rayleigh instability, where the water droplets in a photograph become spiral due to the influence of a external force.
thomas_shvekher
Homework Statement
Use inertia and Newton’s first law to explain how the spin cycle in a washing machine removes
water from clothes.
Relevant Equations
Newton's First Law
I truly am not sure. I assume it is that because everything has inertia, an a tendency to remain in a constant state of motion, when the clothes are quickly spun around they cannot remain in a constant state of motion (of either rest or constant velocity), but the water is "pushed"/spun out of the clothing "with the goal of being in an equilibrium", although I do not think this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
A body remains at rest, or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line, unless acted upon by a force.

Likes Lnewqban
Could this mean that water is not acted upon by an external force, meaning it travels our of the clothing in a straight line (into the holes of the washer), while the clothing ocntinues to spin aound as an external force acts upon them?

Likes Lnewqban
The question is why don't your clothes leave the washing machine and why you don't end up with a drum full of water?

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and thomas_shvekher
So the idea behind the question is that Newton's First Law states that the wet clothing will try to move in a straight line, and the holes on the drum will allow the water to espace, but not the clothes?

Likes russ_watters and Lnewqban
It seems that wet dogs understand how this works. What do you see the water do?

kuruman said:
It seems that wet dogs understand how this works. What do you see the water do?

It looks like the water "flies" off in a straight line

Likes Lnewqban
The spinning drum physically forces the clothes to deviate from the natural straight line that they would follow, according to the Newton's enunciate.
That drum can induce a centripetal acceleration to the solids, but the liquid would scape that effect.
The perforated walls of the drum are unable to "grab and drag" the water into a circular movement.

Likes thomas_shvekher
Lnewqban said:
The spinning drum physically forces the clothes to deviate from the natural straight line that they would follow, according to the Newton's enunciate.
That drum can induce a centripetal acceleration to the solids, but the liquid would scape that effect.
The perforated walls of the drum are unable to "grab and drag" the water into a circular movement.
Thank you so much!

Likes Lnewqban
thomas_shvekher said:
It looks like the water "flies" off in a straight line
And if you put a put a soaked jacket on the dog, the water would still fly off, no?
And if you put the soaked jacket in a washing machine's spin cycle instead of on the dog, then ##~\dots##

...The water would still fly off 😂. Thanks!

Pump-operation.png

Likes thomas_shvekher
Lnewqban said:
How was this picture made and what is it of? It seems to me that the likeness of a single leaking bucket was cut and pasted in a symmetric pattern with an arrow added to suggest clockwise rotation. If that is the case, I think that the stuff coming out should be following not leading the bucket.

Likes Lnewqban and jbriggs444
I thought so too

kuruman said:
How was this picture made and what is it of? It seems to me that the likeness of a single leaking bucket was cut and pasted in a symmetric pattern with an arrow added to suggest clockwise rotation. If that is the case, I think that the stuff coming out should be following not leading the bucket.
The drawing is confusing. I think it is intended to depict the forward progress of a particular bit of each of the four water sprays over a time lapse. However, the buckets from which those four sprays emerged are depicted as a frozen snap shot from the time that the bit was sprayed.

A more faithful depiction of that concept might have used a single droplet at the bottom of each bucket and dotted lines (perhaps decorated with series of equally spaced dotted droplets) depicting the future paths of each of those four droplets.

Each of the sprays would properly have been a straight line leading trajectory nearly tangent to the circle of buckets if depicted in this manner. It would not have the curve that is improperly shown in the drawing from #12. The departure from an exact tangent would be due to a non-negligible exit velocity from the spout at the bottom of each bucket.A set of four concentric trailing spiral curves broken into water droplets due to Plateau-Rayleigh instability would be characteristic of an actual photograph.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Here is a slow-motion demo.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, PeroK and thomas_shvekher
erobz said:
Here is a slow-motion demo.

So interesting!

Likes erobz
kuruman said:
It is just a picture that Google found for me.
Thank you for the correction, the rotation arrow has the wrong direction.
I will try to fix it later.

Likes thomas_shvekher
Lnewqban said:
It is just a picture that Google found for me.
Did Google say what this is supposed to depict? I am curious.

Revised picture regarding rotation direction:

Pump-operation.jpg

Lnewqban said:
Revised picture regarding rotation direction:

View attachment 324526
Now we have the question: What do those arrows at the outer ends of the spray streams denote?

What they do not correctly denote is the flow direction.

jbriggs444 said:
Now we have the question: What do those arrows at the outer ends of the spray streams denote?

What they do not correctly denote is the flow direction.
Agree.
What about revision 2?

Pump-operation.jpg

Likes erobz and jbriggs444
Lnewqban said:
Agree.
What about revision 2?

View attachment 324541
Plausible. A droplet's direction should be a combination of radial (from the ejection velocity) and tangential (from the bucket velocity at the time of ejection).

Likes Lnewqban and erobz

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's First Law apply to a washing machine spin cycle?

In a washing machine spin cycle, the clothes inside the machine are initially at rest. When the spin cycle begins, the drum of the machine starts to rotate, causing the clothes to also start moving. This is an example of Newton's First Law, as the clothes would remain at rest if not for the external force of the rotating drum.

3. Why does the washing machine drum continue to spin even after the cycle has ended?

According to Newton's First Law, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a washing machine, the drum continues to spin due to its own inertia, even after the cycle has ended and the external force of the motor is no longer present.

4. Can the speed of the washing machine spin cycle be changed?

Yes, the speed of the washing machine spin cycle can be changed by adjusting the settings on the machine. This changes the amount of force and torque applied to the drum, causing it to spin at a faster or slower speed.

5. How does the mass of the clothes inside the washing machine affect the spin cycle?

The mass of the clothes inside the washing machine affects the spin cycle by changing the amount of force and torque needed to overcome the inertia of the clothes and set them in motion. Heavier loads will require more force to spin at the same speed as lighter loads.