Next set of PDE, which presents fluid flow

In summary, the conversation is about solving a set of PDE equations related to fluid flow, with a constant value for mi. The equations involve velocity in the x and y directions and have boundary conditions. The conversation also mentions a suggested textbook as a resource for solving these equations.
jangolobow
Hallo,

I must solve next set of PDE, which presents fluid flow.

dP/dx=d/dx(mi*dv/dx)+d/dy(mi*dv/dy)
dP/dy=d/dx(mi*du/dx)+d/dy(mi*du/dy)

where mi=const

with BC: v=v at x=0
u=u at y=0

Can you give me some hint?

thanks

j.

Physics news on Phys.org

This looks similar to Navier stokes equations. u is velocity in x, and v is in y. and in steady state. somethings missing to what you got there. wheres gravity? I think you can write those easier

Yes they are for creeping flow. Is it possible to get a general solution porcedure for solving them?
thanks jg

Been awile since I was in school. Should be in the text
http://www.mhhe.com/engcs/mech/white/
In two dimensions, should be easy. You should do your own work as this site could be very unreliable or make your learning distorted

Related to Next set of PDE, which presents fluid flow

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves an unknown function and its partial derivatives with respect to two or more independent variables. They are commonly used to describe physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, in mathematical terms.

2. How do PDEs relate to fluid flow?

PDEs are often used to model fluid flow because they can describe how the velocity, pressure, and other properties of a fluid change over time and space. By solving a PDE, we can determine the behavior of a fluid in a given system.

3. What is the next set of PDEs for fluid flow?

The next set of PDEs for fluid flow depends on the specific system being studied. Some common PDEs used to model fluid flow include the Navier-Stokes equations, Euler equations, and Bernoulli's equation.

4. How are PDEs solved?

Solving PDEs can be a complex process and often requires advanced mathematical techniques. Some common methods for solving PDEs include separation of variables, finite difference methods, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis.

5. What are the applications of PDEs in fluid flow?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in fluid flow, including in aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and oceanography. They are also used in engineering and design processes to optimize fluid flow in various systems, such as airplane wing designs or water distribution networks.