Nitrogen's intermolecular bonding

• Thread starter sludger13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the main differences between liquid and solid states of nitrogen are the quantity of van der Waals forces and the presence of covalent bonds in some substances. Nitrogen is ready for freezing when the atoms have enough kinetic energy to bring them close together and induce electric dipoles. The attractive interaction between dipoles is balanced by the repulsive interactions between atoms to prevent collapse. Similar behavior can be observed in other substances that can exist as a gas, but the freezing transition may be more obvious in substances with covalent bonds. The van der Waals equation accurately describes the liquid-gas phase transition of gasses like nitrogen, taking into account attractive dipole-dipole interactions and repulsive hard sphere repulsion at short
sludger13
Hi again, I have a couple of questions:
1) Nitrogen (N2) exists liquid and solid. The molecules bond with van der Waals forces. What's the difference between liquid and solid state? Just quantity of van der Waals forces?

2) When is nitrogen ready for freezing? When atoms have such a heat kinetic energy, that they bring near enough and the induced electric field is strong enough to induce dipoles in another molecules? Or where is the breaking point?

3) Dipole's interaction is attractive. What's the repulsive interactions, in order atoms don't collapse?

4) One more question here (LINK). I hope I'm not so much annoying with that. :shy:
Thanks for every single advice or remark.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why do you limit your question to nitrogen? The answer would be mostly identical for every other substance that can exist as a gas (by which I mean it doesn't decompose before becoming gaseous, think glucose for example).

Of course, I don't understand the behaviour of many other substances with similar properties.
Some substances have obvious freezing transition, as covalent bonds are creating. Glucose doesn't belongs there, with its molecular (or ionic) crystal structure (I don't know, maybe glucose can't even get liquid, due to pyrolysis).

There are no covalent bonds created during freezing.

I thought maybe some inorganic substances are covalent bonded in solid state (e.g. graphite) and some of those covalent bonds disappear as the atoms are sufficiently distant (the orbitals are no longer overlapping).

1. What is the intermolecular bonding of nitrogen?

Nitrogen's intermolecular bonding is a type of interaction between two or more nitrogen atoms that occurs due to the sharing or transfer of electrons. This type of bonding is also known as covalent bonding, as the electrons are shared between the atoms to form a stable molecule.

2. How does nitrogen's intermolecular bonding affect its physical properties?

The strong covalent bonds between nitrogen atoms make it difficult for them to break apart, giving nitrogen a high melting and boiling point. Additionally, the lack of polarity in nitrogen's bonds results in a non-polar molecule, making it relatively unreactive and less soluble in polar solvents.

3. What is the difference between intermolecular bonding and intramolecular bonding?

Intramolecular bonding refers to the interactions between atoms within a molecule, while intermolecular bonding refers to the interactions between different molecules. In the case of nitrogen, the covalent bonds between nitrogen atoms within a molecule are intramolecular, while the interactions between separate nitrogen molecules are intermolecular.

4. Can nitrogen form intermolecular bonds with other elements?

Yes, nitrogen can form intermolecular bonds with other elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon. For example, in the molecule ammonia (NH3), the nitrogen atom shares electrons with three hydrogen atoms to form intermolecular bonds. These bonds are weaker than the intramolecular bonds in nitrogen gas, resulting in ammonia having different physical and chemical properties.

5. How does temperature affect nitrogen's intermolecular bonding?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of nitrogen molecules also increases, causing them to move more rapidly and collide with each other. This can break the weak intermolecular bonds between the molecules, resulting in a phase change from gas to liquid or solid. At extremely high temperatures, the intramolecular bonds in nitrogen can also be broken, resulting in a phase change to individual atoms.