No idea of how to really start this question

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature at a depth of 35.0 km, given the surface temperature of 8.70°C and the average thermal conductivity of near-surface rocks. Using the formula P = KA x [(T(h) - T(c)) / L], where P is the rate of energy conducted outward, K is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, T(h) is the surface temperature, T(c) is the temperature at the given depth, and L is the depth, the correct temperature at a depth of 35.0 km is 579.65°C. This calculation takes into account the heat generated by the presence of radioactive elements.
crysix
The average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the ground surface in a certain region is 63.7 mW/m2, and the average thermal conductivity of the near-surface rocks is 3.96 W/m·K. Assuming a surface temperature of 8.70°C, find the temperature (in Celsius) at a depth of 35.0 km (near the base of the crust). Ignore the heat generated by the presence of radioactive elements.

So i understand that the surface is radiating energy at 63.7 mW/m^2
and that k for the surface rocks is 3.96
whilst the surface temperature is 8.70°C

I thought of using P = KA x [(T(h) - T(c)) / L]
L = 35500 M
K = 3.96
P = 0.0637 W
A = 1 m ^ 2
T(h) - T(c) = 8.60 - T(c)

Solving for T(c) = -562.45 <---- I don't think that's correct at all

would any of you offer me in assistance on how to approach this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is 8.6 T(h)? It's hotter deeper down.

haha silly me,
hence if i use T(c) as 8.6
then i get T(H) as 579.65 which I can understand because it gets quite hot down there, but would that be correct?

1. What is the first step in starting a new research project?

The first step in starting a new research project is to clearly define the research question or problem that you want to explore. This will help guide your research and ensure that you stay focused on your objectives.

2. How do I choose a research methodology?

Choosing a research methodology depends on your research question and the type of data you need to collect. Some common research methodologies include experiments, surveys, and case studies. It is important to carefully consider the strengths and limitations of each methodology before making a decision.

3. What is the purpose of a literature review?

A literature review is a critical analysis of existing research and information related to your research topic. It helps you identify gaps in the current knowledge and build upon previous research to develop new ideas or hypotheses.

4. How do I ensure the reliability and validity of my research?

To ensure the reliability and validity of your research, it is important to use robust research methods and accurately collect and analyze data. You should also consider potential biases and limitations in your research design and take steps to mitigate them.

5. How do I effectively communicate my research findings?

To effectively communicate your research findings, it is important to use clear and concise language and present your data and results in a logical and organized manner. Visual aids such as graphs and tables can also help convey complex information in a more accessible way.