Potential and charge on a plane

In summary, the problem of finding the potential and induced charge on an infinite plane in z=0 held at potential 0, with a square sheet -2a<x,y<2a held at potential V above a grounded plane at z=d can be solved using the method of images. This involves creating a charge configuration that satisfies the boundary conditions and using this to find the potential and induced charge. Further steps would involve using a symmetry transformation and creating a line of charge to achieve the necessary discontinuous voltage.
Yoni V

Homework Statement

An infinite plane in z=0 is held in potential 0, except a square sheet -2a<x,y<2a which is held in potential V.
Above it in z=d there is a grounded plane. Find:
a) the potential in 0<z<d?
b) the total induced charge on the z=0 plane.

Homework Equations

Green's function for a plane + Green's Theorem for the potential; method of images etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First, I put an image square sheet on z=2d, then solved by superposition, calculating the potential for thez=0 plane and then adding a shifted result. For the z=0 plane, $$G = \frac{1}{|r-r'|}+\frac{1}{|r-r''|}$$ where ##r''=(x',y',-z')##, and due to Dirichlet b.c. we get $$\phi_1(r)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\iint\phi(r')\frac{\partial G}{\partial n'}dS=\frac{Vz}{2\pi}\iint_{-2a}^{2a}\frac{dx'dy'}{((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2)^{3/2}}$$ This integral is a real pain, so I left it aside for now. I'm not sure, but we might be allowed to leave it in integral form. But still, is there a decent way to calculate it? Finally
$$\phi_2=\frac{V(2d-z)}{2\pi}\iint_{-2a}^{2a}\frac{dx'dy'}{((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(2d-z)^2)^{3/2}}$$ and ##\phi=\phi_1+\phi_2##. Thinking more about this integral, I thought maybe I could solve it using separation of variables, which I haven't tried yet, but I don't think it would make my life any easier in getting a closed form which doesn't contain series expansions or integrals.

b) Here I'm kinda stuck... The induced charge can be attributed to the image square sheet. But now I find myself not knowing how to calculate total charge on a sheet given only its size and potential V. And also, I'm not sure if this is correct, since this is not a closed surface. If it were, I'd say from Gauss' Law we can replace the surface charge distribution with point charges inside (or outside depending on the original arrangement) the surface. Here, my equivalent argument is placing yet another image sheet in z=-2d with potential V to cancel out the potential on z=0 due to the sheet on z=2d.

Summing up, any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. Is there a more elegant way to solve (a), or a way to solve its integral?
2. Is my argument in (b) about the induced charge of the plane correct?
3. How can I calculate the charge given this potential?

Thanks!

Yoni V said:

Homework Statement

An infinite plane in z=0 is held in potential 0, except a square sheet -2a<x,y<2a which is held in potential V.
Above it in z=d there is a grounded plane. Find:
a) the potential in 0<z<d?
b) the total induced charge on the z=0 plane.

Homework Equations

Green's function for a plane + Green's Theorem for the potential; method of images etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First, I put an image square sheet on z=2d, then solved by superposition, calculating the potential for thez=0 plane and then adding a shifted result. For the z=0 plane, $$G = \frac{1}{|r-r'|}+\frac{1}{|r-r''|}$$ where ##r''=(x',y',-z')##, and due to Dirichlet b.c. we get $$\phi_1(r)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\iint\phi(r')\frac{\partial G}{\partial n'}dS=\frac{Vz}{2\pi}\iint_{-2a}^{2a}\frac{dx'dy'}{((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2)^{3/2}}$$ This integral is a real pain, so I left it aside for now. I'm not sure, but we might be allowed to leave it in integral form. But still, is there a decent way to calculate it? Finally
$$\phi_2=\frac{V(2d-z)}{2\pi}\iint_{-2a}^{2a}\frac{dx'dy'}{((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(2d-z)^2)^{3/2}}$$ and ##\phi=\phi_1+\phi_2##. Thinking more about this integral, I thought maybe I could solve it using separation of variables, which I haven't tried yet, but I don't think it would make my life any easier in getting a closed form which doesn't contain series expansions or integrals.

b) Here I'm kinda stuck... The induced charge can be attributed to the image square sheet. But now I find myself not knowing how to calculate total charge on a sheet given only its size and potential V. And also, I'm not sure if this is correct, since this is not a closed surface. If it were, I'd say from Gauss' Law we can replace the surface charge distribution with point charges inside (or outside depending on the original arrangement) the surface. Here, my equivalent argument is placing yet another image sheet in z=-2d with potential V to cancel out the potential on z=0 due to the sheet on z=2d.

Summing up, any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. Is there a more elegant way to solve (a), or a way to solve its integral?
2. Is my argument in (b) about the induced charge of the plane correct?
3. How can I calculate the charge given this potential?

Thanks!
Hi Yoni,

In order to solve this problem elegantly without integrating green all over the place, I think a starting point would be the method of images. Method of images states that if a particular charge configuration creates a potential that satisfies laplace's equation within some boundary condition, then that's the unique solution within those B.C. So our trick is to create some charge configuration that would create the following things:

1. A grounded plane around z = d: This would happen if the charge distribution was symmetric (+q mirrors to -q) by a z -> d-z transformation.
2. Discontinuous voltage of value V across transition from inside to outside the square. Discontinuous voltage means somehow infinite E field @ those locations, so I assume it would look like a line of charge forming some square.

This is just a guess to get you started, I'm not confident (yet) the problem can be solved elegantly with method of images, and I'm too hungry to finish the solution, but hopefully this helps.

1. What is potential on a plane?

Potential on a plane refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point on a plane. This value is measured in volts (V) and is determined by the distribution of charges on the plane.

2. How is potential on a plane calculated?

The potential on a plane can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/d, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the plane, and d is the distance from the plane to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What is the relationship between potential and charge on a plane?

The potential on a plane is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the plane. This means that as the charge on the plane increases, the potential also increases.

4. How does the potential change on a plane as the distance from the plane increases?

The potential on a plane decreases as the distance from the plane increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential at points further away from the plane.

5. Is the potential on a plane affected by the shape of the plane?

Yes, the potential on a plane can be affected by the shape of the plane. This is because different shapes can have different distributions of charges, which can result in different potentials at different points on the plane.