Node Analysis Help: Solving KCL Equation for I_s

In summary: Sorry, I'm being picky, but hopefully it helps. :)In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nodal analysis to solve for the current Is in a circuit containing a 5 ohm and 10 ohm resistor. The process involves writing out Nodal equations and using them to solve for the voltages of the nodes. The conversation also clarifies that nodal analysis uses the sum of currents into and out of a node, and explains how to substitute voltages divided by resistances in place of those currents. It also notes that voltages at each resistor are calculated so that the current leaves the node.
James889
Hi,

I have the following circuit
[PLAIN]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/828/upg248.png

I need to write a KCL equation to solve for [tex]I_s[/tex]
Im really bad at this. But here's what i tried.

[tex]\frac{v_1}{5} + \frac{v_1 - v_2}{5} + 1 = 0[/tex]

Im not sure how to write an equation for the [tex]v_2[\tex] node. Some of the current wil l travel down the 10 ohm resistor.

Please help

/james

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:
Hi,

I have the following circuit
[PLAIN]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/828/upg248.png

I need to write a KCL equation to solve for [tex]I_s[/tex]
Im really bad at this. But here's what i tried.

[tex]\frac{v_1}{5} + \frac{v_1 - v_2}{5} + 1 = 0[/tex]

Im not sure how to write an equation for the v2 node. Some of the current wil l travel down the 10 ohm resistor.

Please help

/james

You can write out your Nodal equations, which will have the three unknowns Is, V1, and V2. Next, you can solve for V1 in terms of V2 to reduce your number of unknowns to two, allowing you to solve them both.

V1 = V2 + 10

If you have trouble with applying Nodal analysis, always start with the big picture and substitute smaller pieces into it:
for v1's node:
[tex]I_{R_1} + I_{R_2} + I_s = 0[/tex]
where [tex]R_1[/tex] is the topmost 5 ohm resistor and [tex]R_2[/tex] is the left, vertical 5 ohm resistor.
for v2's node:
[tex]I_s + 1 = I_{5 ohm} + I_{10 ohm}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
xcvxcvvc said:
You can write out your Nodal equations, which will have the three unknowns Is, V1, and V2. Next, you can solve for V1 in terms of V2 to reduce your number of unknowns to two, allowing you to solve them both.

V1 = V2 + 10

If you have trouble with applying Nodal analysis, always start with the big picture and substitute smaller pieces into it:
for v1's node:
[tex]I_{R_1} + I_{R_2} + I_s = 0[/tex]
where [tex]R_1[/tex] is the topmost 5 ohm resistor and [tex]R_2[/tex] is the left, vertical 5 ohm resistor.
for v2's node:
[tex]I_s + 1= I_{5 ohm} + I_{10 ohm}[/tex]

Can you really mix volatges and currents like that?

James889 said:
Can you really mix volatges and currents like that?

nodal analysis uses the sum of current into and out of a node to find voltages(thanks, berkeman). Your next step is to substitute voltages divided by resistances in place of those currents. Note, a voltage divided by a resistance is a current.

Example: For node v1, the current headed toward the top 5 ohm resistor is

[tex]\frac{v_1 - v_2}{5}[/tex]
because v1 - v2 is the + to - voltage across the resistor that would cause current to leave the node. By convention, each resistor's voltage is calculated so that the current leaves. Example:
the current for that same resistor during the nodal analysis of node with v2 is equal to
[tex]\frac{v_2 - v_1}{5}[/tex]
leaving the node. You could just as easily say that
[tex]\frac{v_1 - v_2}{5}[/tex] is entering the node, but keeping a consistent approach for all nodes reduces error.edit: I just noticed you highlighted the ten when you asked "can you mix currents and voltages?" The answer is no mix happened in that relationship between V1 and V2. Look at the diagram: a battery has ten volts across it. Another way to say it is the voltage at the positive sign (relative to ground) minus the voltage at the minus sign (relative to ground) equals the voltage across the component. Therefore:
[tex]V_{12} = 10 = V_1 - V_2[/tex]

Last edited:
xcvxcvvc said:
nodal analysis uses the sum of current in a loop

Small typo -- should read "sum of currents into or out of a node". That's how you are setting up the equations, just that one sentence came out wrong I think.

Related to Node Analysis Help: Solving KCL Equation for I_s

1. What is Node Analysis and why is it important?

Node Analysis, also known as Nodal Analysis, is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltages and currents at different nodes in a circuit. It is an important tool for analyzing complex circuits and can help in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

2. How do you solve for the unknown current using the KCL equation?

The KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) equation states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. To solve for the unknown current, you would first identify the node where the current is unknown, then write out the KCL equation for that node by equating the sum of incoming currents to the sum of outgoing currents. Finally, you would use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown current.

3. Can you use Node Analysis to solve circuits with multiple sources?

Yes, Node Analysis can be used to solve circuits with multiple sources. The KCL equation can be written for each node in the circuit, and the equations can be solved simultaneously to determine all the unknown voltages and currents in the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Node Analysis?

One common mistake when using Node Analysis is not properly identifying the nodes in the circuit. It is important to clearly label the nodes and ensure that all currents and voltages are referenced to the correct nodes. Another mistake is forgetting to include all the equations for the different nodes in the circuit. It is important to write out and solve all the necessary equations to accurately determine the unknown currents and voltages.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving Node Analysis problems?

One helpful tip for solving Node Analysis problems is to choose the node with the most unknowns as the reference node. This can simplify the equations and make it easier to solve for the unknown values. Another tip is to use the KCL equation for any supernodes in the circuit, which are created when there are voltage sources between two nodes.