Non-Unique Factorization in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}]

In summary, the question is whether or not \mathcal{O}_{-10} = \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}] is a unique factorization domain. The short answer is no, as it has been shown that \mathcal{O}_{-5} = \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] is not a UFD. The conversation then discusses possible ways to prove this, including finding an integer with two different factorizations into irreducibles and showing that certain elements are irreducible.
Oxymoron
I need to determine whether or not [itex]\mathcal{O}_{-10} = \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}][/itex] is a unique factorization domain.

Now, I think the short answer is simply: NO.

The question is meant to be simple (I think).

I just finished proving that [itex]\mathcal{O}_{-5} = \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] is NOT a unique factorization domain and it took me two pages. It involved me finding an integer which had two DIFFERENT factorizations into irreducibles. Using maple and the "factorEQ" command with (numtheory) I found that

[tex]21 = 3\cdot 7 = (1+2\sqrt{-5})(1-2\sqrt{-5})[/itex]

But now for the question at hand, Maple cannot find an integer which equals two factorizations of this sort because, unlike 5, 10 is not a prime.

Ill let you guys muse over this for a while.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose I could just use

[tex]26 = 2\cdot 13 = (4+\sqrt{-10})(4-\sqrt{-10})[/tex]

and show that no element of [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}][/itex] of norm 2 or 13 hence 2 and 13 are irreducible. And then show there is no element of norm [itex]4+\sqrt{-10}[/itex] or [itex]4-\sqrt{-10}[/itex] and thus, they are irreducible. If I can show that then I have shown that 26can be written as two DIFFERENT factorizaruib into irreducibles which implies the ring is a UFD. This shouldn't be too hard if its the right thing to do. Is it the right thing to do?

Related to Non-Unique Factorization in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}]

1. What is "Non-Unique Factorization" in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}]?

"Non-Unique Factorization" in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}] refers to the fact that the ring of integers \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}] does not have unique prime factorization. This means that a given integer in this ring can be expressed as a product of irreducible elements (similar to prime numbers), but this representation is not unique.

2. Why does \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}] not have unique prime factorization?

This is due to the presence of "non-square" elements in the ring, specifically -10 in this case. These non-square elements can be factored in different ways, leading to non-unique factorization of integers in the ring.

3. What are some examples of non-unique factorization in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}]?

One example is the integer 10, which can be factored as 2 \times 5 or (1 + \sqrt{-10})(1 - \sqrt{-10}). Another example is 14, which can be factored as 2 \times 7 or (3 + \sqrt{-10})(3 - \sqrt{-10}).

4. How is this different from prime factorization in \mathbb{Z}?

In the ring of integers \mathbb{Z}, every integer has a unique prime factorization. This is not the case in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}], where certain integers have multiple factorizations.

5. What implications does non-unique factorization have in \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-10}]?

Non-unique factorization has important consequences in algebraic number theory, as it affects the behavior of ideals and primes in this ring. It also has implications in terms of computational complexity, as finding the prime factorization of an integer in this ring can be more challenging than in \mathbb{Z}.