Non-US Nationals: NASA Job Opportunities in Astronomy

• Thread starter Salman Ranjha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Nasa
In summary, non-US nationals cannot directly work for NASA, as they require US citizenship and security clearances. However, they may be able to work for companies that contract with NASA. Other space agencies, such as ESA, may offer job opportunities for non-nationals. It is important to carefully research and consider all requirements before pursuing a career with a specific employer.
Salman Ranjha
I am not a US national but I'm really interested to graduate in Astronomy and work with NASA. So I've heard a lot of rumours that non US nationals cannot get job in NASA.
Is it true.?
If yes then which of the other space agencies offer job to outsiders (someone not national of that country)

Physics news on Phys.org
NASA itself only hires US citizens. I'm not sure how it works for companies that contract with NASA.

Salman Ranjha said:
I am not a US national but I'm really interested to graduate in Astronomy and work with NASA. So I've heard a lot of rumours that non US nationals cannot get job in NASA.
Is it true.?
If yes then which of the other space agencies offer job to outsiders (someone not national of that country)

You need to become a US citizen before you can do any work for the federal government, or work on federal contracts. You would probably need to be able to get and maintain at the minimum a confidential or secret clearance, even when the job doesn't really deal with classified material. There may be exceptions for jobs that deal directly with national security (such as linguists), but you're probably out of luck.

If you're in the EU, you should eligible to work for the ESA.

axmls said:
NASA itself only hires US citizens. I'm not sure how it works for companies that contract with NASA.
NASA contractors can hire non-US citizens for some positions, they just can't work directly for NASA. Not sure what kind of positions the OP wanted.

Student100 said:
You need to become a US citizen before you can do any work for the federal government
As you would also need to obtain a Russian citizenship to work within the Russian space agency and etc ...

Thank you All

Likes Student100
Before you run away, you might also want to take a look at these:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/want-to-work-in-nasa.724673/#post-4583678
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/im-not-sure-this-is-a-good-idea.616978/#post-3973861
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ics-and-computer-science.515184/#post-3410551
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-a-theoretical-physicist.793625/#post-4984372

etc...

Be very careful when you have an ambition to work for a particular employer, because in this case, it appears that you may not know of the fact that I've listed many times above.

Zz.

The way many US aerospace corporations work is you need to be able to work in the US without company sponsorship.

What is the process for non-US nationals to apply for NASA job opportunities in astronomy?

The first step for non-US nationals interested in applying for NASA job opportunities in astronomy is to ensure that they have the necessary qualifications and skills required for the position. They should then search for job openings on the NASA careers website and follow the application instructions provided. Non-US nationals may also need to obtain work authorization or a visa in order to work for NASA.

Are non-US nationals eligible for all NASA job opportunities in astronomy?

No, non-US nationals are not eligible for all NASA job opportunities in astronomy. Some positions may require US citizenship due to security clearance or other requirements. However, there are still many positions available to non-US nationals, so it is important to carefully read the job requirements before applying.

What types of positions are available for non-US nationals in NASA's astronomy division?

There are a variety of positions available for non-US nationals in NASA's astronomy division, including research scientists, engineers, technicians, and administrative roles. These positions may be located at various NASA centers and may involve working on a specific project or conducting research in a particular area of astronomy.

Do non-US nationals receive the same benefits as US citizens when working for NASA in astronomy?

Yes, non-US nationals who are hired for NASA job opportunities in astronomy are typically eligible for the same benefits as US citizens. This may include health insurance, retirement plans, and other benefits. However, it is important to note that benefits and eligibility may vary depending on the specific position and location.

Are there any language requirements for non-US nationals applying for NASA job opportunities in astronomy?

Language requirements may vary depending on the position and location. Some positions may require fluency in English, while others may require proficiency in other languages. It is important for non-US nationals to carefully review the job requirements and determine if they meet any language requirements before applying for a position at NASA.