Nonhomogeneous Power Series Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using series and finding a recurrence relation for the coefficients. The process involves using the given equations and substituting in values to find the values of the coefficients. The conversation also includes suggestions for finding the recurrence relation.
Telemachus
Hi. I have to solve: [tex]y''+xy'-2y=e^x[/tex]
Using series. So, this is what I did:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^n[/tex]
[tex]y'(x)=\sum_1^{\infty}n a_n x^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]y''(x)=\sum_2^{\infty}n(n-1) a_n x^{n-1}[/tex]
And [tex]e^x=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
Then, using that m=n-2 for y'' and then replacing in the diff. eq:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} x^n+x\sum_1^{\infty}n a_n x^{n-1}-2\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^n=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
So:
[tex]2a_2-2a_0-1+\sum_1^{\infty}\left [(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}+n a_n -2a_n -\frac{1}{n!} \right ] x^n=0[/tex]
Then: [tex]2a_2-2a_0-1=0\rightarrow a_2=1/2+a_0[/tex]
And: [tex](n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}+n a_n -2a_n -\frac{1}{n!}=0\rightarrow a_{n+2}=\frac{a_n(2-n)+\frac{1}{n!}}{(n+2)(n+1)}[/tex]
Now I have to find the recurrence relation for [tex]a_n[/tex]
Is this ok?
Now, I've tried some terms to find the recurrence relation, but I couldn't find it yet.
Even:
[tex]a_2=a_{0+2}=1/2+a_0[/tex]
[tex]a_4=a_{2+2}=\frac{a_2(0)+1/2}{4.3}=1/4![/tex]
[tex]a_6=a_{4+2}=\frac{a_4(-2)+1/4!}{6.5}=-\frac{1}{6!}[/tex]
[tex]a_8=a_{6+2}=\frac{a_6(-4)+1/6!}{8.7}=\frac{5}{8!}[/tex]
[tex]a_{10}=a_{8+2}=\frac{a_8(-6)+1/8!}{10.9}=\frac{-29}{10!}[/tex]

Odd:
[tex]a_3=a_{1+2}=\frac{a_1+1}{6}=\frac{a_1+1}{3!}[/tex]
[tex]a_5=a_{3+2}=\frac{a_3(-1)+1/3!}{5.4}=-a_3+1/5!=-\frac{a_1+1}{5!}+1/5!=-\frac{a_1}{5!}[/tex]
[tex]a_7=a_{5+2}=\frac{a_5(-2)+1/5!}{7.6}=\frac{-3a_1+1}{7!}[/tex]
[tex]a_9=a_{7+2}=\frac{a_7(-5)+1/7!}{9.8}=\frac{15a_1-4}{9!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus! :smile:
Telemachus said:
[tex](n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}+n a_n -2a_n -\frac{1}{n!}=0[/tex]

Multiply throughout by n! ? :wink:

Oh, I think that's a good idea. Thank you tiny-tim.

Related to Nonhomogeneous Power Series Solution

1. What is a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

A nonhomogeneous power series solution is a method used to solve differential equations that involve terms with different powers of the independent variable. It involves representing the solution as an infinite series of terms with coefficients that can be determined by substituting the series into the differential equation.

2. When is a nonhomogeneous power series solution useful?

A nonhomogeneous power series solution is useful when the differential equation involves terms that cannot be easily solved using other methods, such as separation of variables or variation of parameters. It is also useful when the coefficients of the terms in the equation are not constant.

3. How is a nonhomogeneous power series solution calculated?

A nonhomogeneous power series solution is calculated by first assuming a solution in the form of an infinite series with undetermined coefficients. Then, the series is substituted into the differential equation to obtain a recurrence relation for the coefficients. The coefficients can then be determined by solving the recurrence relation.

4. What are the advantages of using a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

One advantage of using a nonhomogeneous power series solution is that it can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including those with non-constant coefficients. It also provides a more general solution compared to other methods, as it involves an infinite series of terms rather than a finite number of solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

One limitation of using a nonhomogeneous power series solution is that it can be time-consuming and challenging to determine the coefficients, especially for more complicated equations. Additionally, the solution may not always converge or may only converge within a limited range of the independent variable.