Not really sure how many classes to take....

• Courses
  • Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the individual is currently working 20-25 hours a week and is a physics major. They are enrolled in four courses for the semester: Mechanics 1, Mathematical Physics, Intermediate Lab, and Linear Algebra. They have taken Linear Algebra before but dropped it due to a heavy workload. They are now familiar with four out of five chapters of the course and have the textbook for reference. The individual is unsure if they should take Linear Algebra again or focus on their three physics courses and work. However, they are concerned about the importance of linear algebra in Mathematical Physics and the potential impact on their future courses. They are considering seeking advice from their academic advisor.
Vitani11
I work 20-25 hours a week, am a physics major, and am currently signed up for Mechanics 1, Mathematical Physics, Intermediate Lab (An actual course - not like general physics labs), and Linear Algebra. I've taken Linear Algebra before and dropped it about halfway through the semester because I couldn't handle it along with Chinese, Modern Physics, another problem solving physics course, and work. I think if I stayed in Linear Algebra I would have done completely fine though, I just didn't want to chance it. Anyway now I am pretty sure I am at least acquainted with four out of five chapters of a linear algebra course. I also have the book for reference. I know that you learn Linear Algebra in Mathematical Physics. So should I actually take it, or should I drop it and focus on the three physics courses and work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking Linear Algebra would mean I would have to spend another $500 for the course too.

What is a standard course load at your school? 20-25 hours per week at a part-time job is a fairly serious time commitment - significant enough that it would likely strain your ability to carry a full course load and perform at your optimum. You will likely encounter situations where you would have to decide between completing an assignment or dropping a shift.

On the other hand, I don't know what an undergraduate course in "mathematical physics" entails, but it seems highly likely that it will require a solid background in linear algebra. Double check if linear algebra is a prerequisite or co-requisite course. The point I guess is that you'll need that linear algebra sooner or later and not taking it now might dig yourself into a hole - if not for this course, then for other courses in the future where it's assumed knowledge.

The way I would decide on something like this is to attempt it at first and make the decision whether to carry through based on actual evidence of how you perform as it progresses. Making it based on how tough you think it *might* be could end up penalizing you for no reason.

You might want to go to your academic advisor with this question too. He or she will likely have dealt with this question before, at your school, and be able to offer more specific advice.

Likes Vitani11
I agree with Choppy. It feels weird to take Mathematical physics wihout knowing linear algebra very well. So you'll need to look into this.

Likes Vitani11

1. How many classes should I take per semester?

The number of classes you should take per semester depends on various factors such as your academic goals, workload, and personal commitments. It is recommended to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your specific situation and determine the appropriate number of classes to take.

2. Is it better to take more classes or fewer classes per semester?

It is important to find a balance between taking too many classes and taking too few. Taking too many classes can lead to an overwhelming workload, while taking too few may prolong your time in school. Consider your academic abilities, workload, and personal commitments when deciding on the number of classes to take per semester.

3. Will taking more classes per semester save me money?

Taking more classes per semester can potentially save you money in the long run, as you may be able to graduate earlier and avoid paying for additional semesters. However, it is important to consider your ability to handle a heavier workload and maintain good academic standing before taking on more classes.

4. How do I know if I am taking too many classes?

If you are feeling overwhelmed, constantly stressed, and struggling to keep up with your coursework, you may be taking on too many classes. It is important to prioritize your well-being and academic success. Consider talking to your academic advisor or reducing your course load if needed.

5. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take a certain number of classes outside of their major as electives. This can be a great opportunity to explore other interests and broaden your knowledge. However, make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure the classes you choose will fulfill any graduation requirements.