Nuclear Space in QM: Exploring & Integrating Finite Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the integral of ∫x|∅(x)|2(1+|x|)ndx is finite, with the suggestion to use a suitable inequality to bound the integrand and relate it to known integrals. The approach is related to real analysis and involves finding an appropriate inequality for the function. It is also noted that just because a function is square integrable, it may not meet the requirements of QM and that in QM, one is dealing with something like ##\Omega## rather than the entire space of square-integrable functions.
TTT
Homework Statement
See the attachment
Relevant Equations
integrate from negative infinity to infinity ∫|f(x)|[SUP]2[/SUP]dx is finite
If I understand this question correctly, I am supposed to prove an integrate from negative infinity to infinity ∫x|∅(x)|2(1+|x|)ndx is finite. Sorry, but I have no idea.

Attachments

• kjkjkjkj.PNG
    kjkjkjkj.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding of what you need to do is correct. (proving for all n, of course). Remember, the premise is that you already know

∫|∅(x)|^2(1+|x|)^n dx

is finite for all n. What can you do to to get that x out of the integral and relate it to the integrals you already know are finite?

Likes TTT
What book is this?

Cutter Ketch said:
Your understanding of what you need to do is correct. (proving for all n, of course). Remember, the premise is that you already know

∫|∅(x)|^2(1+|x|)^n dx

is finite for all n. What can you do to get that x out of the integral and relate it to the integrals you already know are finite?

I have tried to do this with integrating it by parts, but it did not go well. Are you suggesting something else?

dextercioby said:
What book is this?

This question is not quoted from the textbook I am using for this class, so I do not know where this question comes from

TTT said:
I have tried to do this with integrating it by parts, but it did not go well. Are you suggesting something else?

This is more like a real analysis problem. Note that the integrand is non-negative in all cases. I suggest you look for a suitable inequality that bounds the integrand when you have the ##x^2## in it. In other words, you need to find an inequality:

##x^2|\phi(x)|^2(1 + |x|)^n \le f(x)##

Where ##f(x)## is some function you know is integrable. The result then follows from the properties of the integral.

Note: if you haven't studied any real analysis, then the approach to problems like this will be hard to find.

Likes TTT and Moolisa
PeroK said:
This is more like a real analysis problem. Note that the integrand is non-negative in all cases. I suggest you look for a suitable inequality that bounds the integrand when you have the ##x^2## in it. In other words, you need to find an inequality:

##x^2|\phi(x)|^2(1 + |x|)^n \le f(x)##

Where ##f(x)## is some function you know is integrable. The result then follows from the properties of the integral.

Note: if you haven't studied any real analysis, then the approach to problems like this will be hard to find.
I'm assuming this poster is in my class, we use the Griffiths Intro to QM book, but as stated, this isn't from it. We're not required to take real analysis at this point. Do you mind telling me what type of approach this is so I can study up on this?

Moolisa said:
I'm assuming this poster is in my class, we use the Griffiths Intro to QM book, but as stated, this isn't from it. We're not required to take real analysis at this point. Do you mind telling me what type of approach this is so I can study up on this?

Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Real analysis is an art in itself. And I don't think you gain a lot of insight into QM from studying these sort of functional analytic properties.

I think it's worth noting that just because a function is square integrable doesn't mean it meets the requirements of QM. There are several examples:

In this case, multiplying by the function ##x## can make a function non-integrable (in terms of the integral becoming unbounded).

Differentiating the function (i.e. applying the momentum operator).

The momentum operator is not Hermitian on the space of all square-integrable functions.

But, generally, as long as a function tends to zero faster than any ##x^n##, as ##x \rightarrow \infty##, then you are okay.

In this case, rather than prove the above, I suggest it's sufficient to note that in QM you are dealing with something like ##\Omega##, rather than the entire space of square-integrable functions.

Likes TTT and Moolisa
TTT said:
If I understand this question correctly, I am supposed to prove an integrate from negative infinity to infinity ∫x|∅(x)|2(1+|x|)ndx is finite.
Almost. You're supposed to show that
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \hat x \phi \rvert^2 (1+\lvert x \rvert)^n\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty |x|^2 \lvert \phi \rvert^2 (1+\lvert x \rvert)^n\,dx$$ is finite.

I suggest you try expressing ##\lvert x \rvert^2## as a linear combination of powers of ##1+\lvert x \rvert##.

Likes TTT
$$\lvert x\rvert^2\le(1+\lvert x\rvert)^2$$
So
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert x\rvert^2 \lvert \phi \rvert^2 (1+\lvert x \rvert)^n dx\le \int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \phi \rvert^2 (1+\lvert x \rvert)^{n+2}dx$$

Likes Cutter Ketch and TTT

Related to Nuclear Space in QM: Exploring & Integrating Finite Solutions

1. What is Nuclear Space in QM?

Nuclear Space in QM refers to the use of quantum mechanics principles to explore and understand the properties and behavior of nuclear systems, such as atoms and nuclei.

2. How is Nuclear Space in QM different from traditional nuclear physics?

Nuclear Space in QM takes a more theoretical and mathematical approach to studying nuclear systems, rather than relying on experimental data. It also considers the finite solutions and limitations of these systems, rather than treating them as infinite and continuous.

3. What are the potential applications of Nuclear Space in QM?

Nuclear Space in QM has potential applications in various fields, such as nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, and materials science. It can also help us better understand the fundamental forces and interactions within atoms and nuclei.

4. How does Nuclear Space in QM integrate finite solutions?

Nuclear Space in QM uses mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of nuclear systems, taking into account their finite size and energy levels. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of these systems.

5. How is Nuclear Space in QM relevant to current scientific research?

Nuclear Space in QM is an active area of research in the field of quantum mechanics and nuclear physics. It is constantly being used to develop new theories, models, and techniques for studying and manipulating nuclear systems, leading to advancements in various scientific and technological fields.