Nucleophilic Substitution Reaction: CH3Cl + AgF

In summary, the conversation discusses a nucleophilic substitution reaction between CH3Cl and AgF, where CH3F and AgCl are the products. The individuals are discussing the stability of AgCl, with one person mentioning that AgF is more stable than AgCl and asking for an explanation. It is explained that AgCl is more stable due to its low solubility in water compared to AgF, which is completely soluble. The difference in size and ability to form hydrogen bonds affects the solubility of the two compounds. It is also mentioned that AgCl's stability affects the equilibrium of the reaction, pulling it towards the formation of CH3F.
Karan Punjabi
CH3Cl +AgF :CH3F +AgCl
Guys if I'm correct this is a nucleophilic substitution reaction and here I'm not getting the reaction because from my view chlorine atom is more nucleophilic than fluorine atom and carbon atom is more electronegative than silver atom so how the reaction is taking place?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you know about the stability of AgCl?

Borek said:
What do you know about the stability of AgCl?
I think thaf AgF is more stable than AgCl and I'm studying in FYJC science. So please can you provide answers according to my level of education

Which is more soluble?

Borek said:
Which is more soluble?
If in water i think so AgF

Karan Punjabi said:
If in water i think so AgF
But from this how i will understand the reaction?

AgCl is much more stable than AgF - this is reflected by their solubilities in water. Thus conversion of AgF to AgCl is a driving force for many reactions.

Borek said:
AgCl is much more stable than AgF - this is reflected by their solubilities in water. Thus conversion of AgF to AgCl is a driving force for many reactions.
Can you explain it a little better...I'm not getting that. If swarts reaction is happening than the electronegativity and nucleophilicness of atoms in this reaction are not working.

They do, but the fact that AgCl is much stable counteracts it. AgCl stability means you are effectively removing chlorine from the reaction mixture.

Borek said:
They do, but the fact that AgCl is much stable counteracts it. AgCl stability means you are effectively removing chlorine from the reaction mixture.
Ok i understood, then there would be many reactions like this case. Correct? Can you also tell me on what basis is the AgCl more stable than AgF

As Borek said, AgCl has a very low solubility in water in contrast to AgF which is completely soluble (under the conditions of the reaction).
Solubility is not mainly a question of stability of the salt, but also of the energetic stabilization of the ions in the solution. Fluorine anions are much smaller than Cl- anions and can also form hydrogen bonds, which increases solution enthalpy of AgF. Hence AgF is very soluble in contrast to AgCl.
The nucleophilic substitution is an equilibrium reaction. With comparable amounts of Cl- and F- present, it may well be that the equilibrium is on the side of CH3Cl. But the formation of AgCl removes almost all Cl- anions from the solution as soon as they are formed whence the reaction will be pulled on the side of CH3F.

Related to Nucleophilic Substitution Reaction: CH3Cl + AgF

1. What is a nucleophilic substitution reaction?

A nucleophilic substitution reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a nucleophile (a species with a negative or partial negative charge) replaces a leaving group (a species that can easily dissociate from a molecule) in a molecule.

2. How does CH3Cl + AgF undergo a nucleophilic substitution reaction?

In this reaction, the chlorine atom in CH3Cl acts as a leaving group and is replaced by the fluoride ion (F-) from AgF. The nucleophile attacks the carbon atom, breaking the carbon-chlorine bond and forming a new carbon-fluorine bond.

3. What is the role of AgF in the nucleophilic substitution reaction with CH3Cl?

AgF acts as a source of fluoride ions, which serve as the nucleophile in this reaction. It also helps to facilitate the reaction by stabilizing the intermediate product through coordination with the silver ion.

4. What factors affect the rate of a nucleophilic substitution reaction?

The rate of a nucleophilic substitution reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the nucleophile, the nature of the leaving group, the solvent used, and the steric hindrance around the reaction center.

5. What are the products of the nucleophilic substitution reaction between CH3Cl and AgF?

The products of this reaction are methyl fluoride (CH3F) and silver chloride (AgCl). The fluoride ion replaces the chlorine atom in CH3Cl, while the silver ion bonds with the chlorine atom to form AgCl.