Number of quadrilatera in polygon

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polygon
In summary, there are a total of 75 quadrilaterals that can be made using the vertices of a polygon of 10 sides as their vertices and having exactly 2 sides common with the polygon. This includes both cases where the two sides are adjacent and where they are not adjacent. The formula used is 10 x 5, but this includes duplicates, so we must divide by 2 to get the correct answer.
juantheron
Number of Quadrilateral that can be made using the vertex of a polygon of 10 sides as

there vertices and having Exactly $2$ sides common with the polygon

My solution:

first we will take $2$ sides common is $=10$ ways now if we take two sides as $A_{1}A_{2}$ and $A_{1}A_{3}$ then we

will not take vertex $A_{4}$ and $A_{10}$ So we will choose $1$ vertes from $5$ vertices which can be done by

$\displaystyle \binom{5}{1}$ ways So Total No. of ways in which $2$ sides common is $=10 \times \displaystyle\binom{5}{1} =50$ but answer given

is $=75$.

But I did not understand it. Would anyone like to explain me where i am wrong

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: number of quadrilatera in polygon

jacks said:
Number of Quadrilateral that can be made using the vertex of a polygon of 10 sides as

there vertices and having Exactly $2$ sides common with the polygon

My solution:

first we will take $2$ sides common is $=10$ ways now if we take two sides as $A_{1}A_{2}$ and $A_{1}A_{3}$ then we

will not take vertex $A_{4}$ and $A_{10}$ So we will choose $1$ vertes from $5$ vertices which can be done by

$\displaystyle \binom{5}{1}$ ways So Total No. of ways in which $2$ sides common is $=10 \times \displaystyle\binom{5}{1} =50$ but answer given

is $=75$.

But I did not understand it. Would anyone like to explain me where i am wrong

Thanks
You can also have a quadrilateral $A_1A_2A_4A_5$. It too has exactly $2$ of its sides common with the polygon. There, of course, many more such quadrilaterals.

Hello, jacks!

I think I've got it . . .

Number of quadrilateral that can be made using the vertices
of a polygon of 10 sides as their vertices and having
exactly 2 sides common with the polygon.

Answer: 75
Code:
              A   B

J           C        I               D

H           E

G   F
Case 1: the two sides are not adjacent.

The first side can be any of the 10 adjacent vertex pairs:
. . [tex]AB, BC, CD, \text{ . . . } JA[/tex]

Suppose the first side is [tex]AB.[/tex]
Then the second side has 5 choices:
. . [tex]DE, EF, FG, GH, HI[/tex]

It seems there are [tex]10\times 5 \,=\,50[/tex] such quadrilaterals.
But this list includes [tex]\{AB,FG\}[/tex] and [tex]\{FG,AB\}[/tex]

Hence, there are: [tex]\tfrac{50}{2}\,=\,25[/tex] such quadrilaterals.Case 2: The two sides are adjacent.
There are 10 triples of vertices:
. . [tex]ABC,BCD,CDE,\text{ . . . }JAB[/tex]

Suppose the triple is [tex]ABC.[/tex]
Then the fourth vertex can be: [tex]\{E,F,G,H,I\}[/tex]

Hence, there are: [tex]10\times5\,=\,50[/tex] such quadrilaterals.Therefore, there are: [tex]25 + 50 \,=\,75[/tex] quadrilaterals.

1. How do you determine the number of quadrilaterals in a polygon?

The number of quadrilaterals in a polygon can be determined by using the formula n(n-3)/2, where n is the number of sides in the polygon. This formula applies to all convex polygons.

2. Can this formula be used for both regular and irregular polygons?

Yes, this formula can be used for both regular and irregular polygons as long as they are convex.

3. Is there a difference in the number of quadrilaterals for a polygon with an even or odd number of sides?

No, the number of quadrilaterals will be the same regardless of whether the polygon has an even or odd number of sides. The formula n(n-3)/2 will give the same result for both cases.

4. How does the number of quadrilaterals in a polygon change as the number of sides increases?

The number of quadrilaterals in a polygon increases exponentially as the number of sides increases. For example, a polygon with 5 sides will have 5 quadrilaterals, while a polygon with 10 sides will have 35 quadrilaterals.

5. Can this formula be used for concave polygons?

No, this formula only applies to convex polygons. For concave polygons, the number of quadrilaterals will depend on the specific shape of the polygon and cannot be determined using a general formula.