OCR Physics AS Level - Strain gauge, temperature, resistance

In summary: Bump.In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a laboratory experiment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood changes with the temperature of the wood. The requirement is to keep it simple and use only school lab equipment. Ideas such as using a thermometer in a beaker or attaching the strain gauge with glue onto the wood are discussed, but the challenge lies in connecting the components and measuring the resistance. The forum user also needs a step-by-step procedure, diagrams, and a list of apparatus. The formulas R=pL/A and R=V/I are mentioned, but using water baths is not feasible. One suggestion is to use a power pack, ammeter, and a strain gauge attached to the wood with
Final Fantasy
I have an assignment in which I have to design a laboratory experiment (not real, only in theory i.e. planning) to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

*IMPORTANT* My teacher said keep it simple, do not over complicate things. Only school lab equipment is allowed. I have to also make predictions, make a graph (temp vs resistance??), and a sample table (prelimanary results).

So far I have come up with stupid ideas like getting a piece of wood, making a hole, sticking a thermometer in it and then place the whole thing in a beaker. Heating up the beaker with bunsen burner (beaker will be on a tripod) and then taking readings off the thermometer. Obviously there is one big problem, where does the strain gauge come in? Do I have to attach it to the wood, if so, then how do I take the readings of the resistance.

I have other ideas such as attaching the strain gauge using glue onto the piece of wood and then some how connecting this in a circuit, but what components would I use, how would I measure the resistance, how to connect it up and heat up the wood and record temperature??

The official question of this planning exercise is: You are required to design a laboratory experiment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

I have just registered on this forum, although I have been a lurker for quite some time now. If all goes well then I'll probably become an active member here.

Basically, I need a step-by-step method/procedure on this if possible. I also got to include a diagram and a possible circuit diagram too? Also have to list the apparatus I'm going to use.

~FF

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. :smile:EDIT: Does the formula R=pL/A have anything to do with this? Or R=V/I?

Also, I was thinking water baths at different constant temperatures but come to think of it I guess that's not going to work lol.

EDIT: What do you think of this >> Using a power pack, connect ampmeter and strain-gauge-glued-on-wood-with-a-thermometer-in-it, making a circuit. Then heating up the wood with Bunsen burner and recording the temps and resistance.

~FF

Last edited:

I would approach this experiment by first understanding the principles behind strain gauges and how they measure changes in resistance. Strain gauges are typically made of a thin strip of metal or semiconductor material that changes its resistance when it is stretched or compressed. In this case, the strain gauge will be attached to the piece of wood, and as the wood expands or contracts with temperature changes, it will cause the strain gauge to change its resistance.

To design a simple experiment to investigate this relationship between temperature and resistance, I would suggest the following steps:

1. Materials/Equipment:
- A piece of wood
- A strain gauge
- A thermometer
- A power supply
- A multimeter to measure resistance
- A heat source (e.g. Bunsen burner or hot plate)
- Wires and connectors to build a simple circuit

2. Set up the experiment:
- Attach the strain gauge to the piece of wood using glue or tape.
- Connect the strain gauge to the circuit, making sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper wiring.
- Connect the circuit to the power supply and multimeter.
- Place the thermometer near the strain gauge to measure the temperature of the wood.

3. Take preliminary readings:
- Before heating the wood, take initial readings of the temperature and resistance.
- Record these readings in a table or graph for later comparison.

4. Heat the wood:
- Use the heat source to gradually increase the temperature of the wood.
- Make sure to monitor the temperature with the thermometer and record it at regular intervals.
- As the temperature increases, the resistance of the strain gauge will also change. Record these readings as well.

5. Analyze the data:
- Plot the data in a graph, with temperature on the x-axis and resistance on the y-axis.
- The graph should show a direct relationship between temperature and resistance, with an increase in temperature leading to an increase in resistance.

6. Make predictions:
- Based on the data collected, make predictions about how the resistance will change at different temperatures.
- You can also use mathematical equations or calculations to further analyze the relationship between temperature and resistance.

7. Include diagrams and circuit diagrams:
- In your report, include a labeled diagram of the experimental setup and a circuit diagram of the circuit used to measure resistance.
- These diagrams will help others understand your experiment and how it was conducted.

Overall, this experiment can be easily conducted using basic laboratory equipment and can provide valuable insights into

1. What is a strain gauge and how does it work?

A strain gauge is a device used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It works by using a thin wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object. As the object is deformed, the wire or foil also stretches or compresses, causing a change in its resistance. This change in resistance can then be measured and used to calculate the strain of the object.

2. How does temperature affect the accuracy of strain gauge measurements?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the accuracy of strain gauge measurements. As the temperature changes, the material properties of the object being measured can also change, causing variations in the strain gauge's readings. To minimize this effect, strain gauges are often calibrated at specific temperatures and temperature compensation techniques are used.

3. What is the relationship between strain and resistance in a strain gauge?

The relationship between strain and resistance in a strain gauge is directly proportional. As the strain increases, the resistance of the gauge also increases. This is due to the change in the length and cross-sectional area of the wire or foil, which affects its resistance. This relationship is typically described by the gauge factor, which is a constant that relates the change in resistance to the applied strain.

4. How is resistance measured in a strain gauge?

Resistance in a strain gauge is typically measured using a Wheatstone bridge circuit. This circuit consists of four resistors, including the strain gauge, arranged in a diamond shape. By measuring the voltage across the bridge, the resistance of the strain gauge can be determined. This method is preferred because it is more accurate and less affected by external factors such as temperature and wire length.

5. How can strain gauge measurements be used in practical applications?

Strain gauge measurements have a wide range of practical applications, including stress analysis in structures, material testing, and load monitoring. They are also commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction for quality control and safety purposes. In medical fields, strain gauges can be used to monitor the movement and strain of muscles, tendons, and other body tissues. They are also used in sensors for measuring body weight and pressure.