Olympiad problem -- Sum involving many square roots....

In summary: The first two addends are again the sum from post #9, now with the first two terms included. The third addend is the same integral as above, but with more digits in the interval.If we round this, we are off by 1 and the estimate is within 0.02 of the precise value of the original problem.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the value of the series √(2-√(2^(2)-1))+√(4-√(4^(2)-1))+√(6-√(6^(2)-1))+...+√(80-√(80^(2)-1)). The participants discuss various approaches to solving the
Mathysics29
√(2-√(2^(2)-1))+√(4-√(4^(2)-1))+√(6-√(6^(2)-1))+...+√(80-√(80^(2)-1))
How the find it's value

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas yourself ?

Just out of curiosity are there any rules about how these problems have to be solved ? Do the solutions always have to be analytic ones ?

Personally if I wanted an answer to this problem for some practical purpose I would just write a program to sum all the terms numerically - it would only be a few lines of coding .

Well you are not supposed to use a calculator and the answer should be rounded of to nearest integer if needed.

Well i have an idea and here it is:
So if y=2-√(2^(2)-1)
y=2-√3
y(2+√3)=1
And this works for all the terms.

But I don't know how to connect it to the equation

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Mathysics29 said:
y(2+√3)=1
Or y=1/(2+√3).
If you look at larger values like 1/(78+√(782-1)) or 1/(80+√(802-1)), do you see how you could approximate that?
Does this lead to a familiar series?

Convering series? But how can I estimate the final and?

With an approximation for this series (well, the finite partial sum, to be more precise).

Can I say this

Summation (√2n-√(2n)^(2)-1))
n=1
And how can I find the partial sum for this

Mathysics29 said:
Can I say this
This is just your original problem written in a different way. Sure.
Mathysics29 said:
And how can I find the partial sum for this
Find a suitable approximation, see above.

I'm posting my solution because this thread wasn't originally in homework section and doesn't appear to be homework.
After some algebra I write the problem as$$\sqrt{2}\sum_{n=1}^{40}\sqrt{n-\sqrt{n^2-.25}}$$
I multiply the sum by,
$$\frac{\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n^2-.25}}}{\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n^2-.25}}}$$
I approximate$$\sqrt{n^2-.25}\approx n$$
And after a little more algebra the sum becomes approximately$$\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^{40}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}$$
I approximate ##\sqrt{2}\approx 1.5 ## ## \sqrt{3}\approx 2## etc. I note the first two terms ##\approx \frac{1.75}{2}##, the next five terms##\approx 5\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}##, the next five terms ##5\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{3}##, the next ten terms ##\approx 10\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{4}##, and the last eighteen terms ##\approx 18\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{6}##. Adding it all up I get 5.2.

Fred Wright said:
Adding it all up I get 5.2
Hmm, the program (formula from post #9) ended with ##5.65685 ...##

Likes scottdave
Quite good for an approximation. If we round we are off by 1.

Replace the sum by an integral:
$$\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^{40}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \approx \frac 1 2 \int_{0.7}^{40.5} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}} = [\sqrt{x}]_{0.7}^{40} = \sqrt{40}-\sqrt{0.7} \approx 6.3 - 0.85 = 5.45$$
0.7 is black magic based on intuition, the square roots were estimated without calculator.

Compare it to the precise value of the sum:
$$\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^{40}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \approx 5.6338$$

If we round that, we are still off by 1, but now the estimate is within 0.2 of the precise value of the original problem.

We get a better result with a numerical evaluation of the first two terms:
$$\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^{40}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \approx \frac 1 2 \left( 1+\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} + \int_{2.5}^{40.5} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}} \right) = 0.5 + 0.35 + \sqrt{40}-\sqrt{2.5} \approx 0.85 + 6.33 - 1.59 = 5.59$$
Again without calculator (and without using the result from above...), but with a bit more thought about the square roots.

Likes scottdave

1. What is the purpose of "Olympiad problem -- Sum involving many square roots...."?

The purpose of this problem is to test the mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities of students competing in the Olympiad. It challenges them to think critically and creatively to find a solution.

2. What is the difficulty level of this problem?

This problem is considered to be of high difficulty, as it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve it.

3. How many square roots are involved in this problem?

As indicated in the title, there are many square roots involved in this problem. The exact number may vary, as different versions of the problem may have a different number of square roots.

4. What are some strategies for solving this problem?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve this problem, such as simplifying the expression, using algebraic manipulation, or breaking it down into smaller parts. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and try different approaches until a solution is found.

5. Is knowledge of advanced math concepts required to solve this problem?

Yes, solving this problem may require knowledge of advanced math concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. However, it is possible to solve it using basic math skills and a creative approach.