On Polarised Light and its State

In summary: Brewster's angle is the angle at which light with a particular polarization is perfectly transmitted through a transparent dielectric surface, with no reflection.When light arrives from a transparent material it will be partially polarized (it will have some components of the polarization parallel to the surface). When the angle of incidence equals the Brewster angle, the light is said to be completely polarized and no light reflects from the surface.Brewster's angle is determined by measuring the angle of polarization of light that is reflected from a surface. If the incident light is unpolarized, then the reflected light will be partially polarized as well. When the angle of incidence equals the Brewster angle, the reflected light is said to be completely polarized and no
JohnGaltis

Homework Statement

Consider a beam of unpolarised light incident onto air from a crown-glass with a refractive index of 1.52.

Determine the incident angle when the reflected light becomes completely polarised. What is the polarised state of the reflected light?

Homework Equations

Brewster's Law: n=tan(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did get 56.7 degrees so that's the incident angle. But from the angle, how do I determine the polarised state?
(One of these right? Linear, Circular and Elliptical)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the links in post #14 of this thread about Polarisation of Light.

How do you normally get circular/eliptic polarisation?

JohnGaltis said:

Homework Statement

Consider a beam of unpolarised light incident onto air from a crown-glass with a refractive index of 1.52.

Determine the incident angle when the reflected light becomes completely polarised. What is the polarised state of the reflected light?

Homework Equations

Brewster's Law: n=tan(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did get 56.7 degrees so that's the incident angle. But from the angle, how do I determine the polarised state?
(One of these right? Linear, Circular and Elliptical)
Where is the light incident from? In which medium is the reflected light observed? How is the Brewster angle defined?

Well, the light is incident from the glass. And I suppose that we observe the completely polarised light reflected through air?

Brewster's angle is an angle of incidence at which light with a particular polarization is perfectly transmitted through a transparent dielectric surface, with no reflection.

So, at 56.7 degrees, the partially polarised light transmit through the glass while the completely polarised light reflects off the glass. The reflected light is polarised perpendicular to the plane of incidence, I think.

Wait- so it's linearly polarised right? Since the reflected light is polarised only perpendicularly hmm.

JohnGaltis said:
Well, the light is incident from the glass. And I suppose that we observe the completely polarised light reflected through air?

Brewster's angle is an angle of incidence at which light with a particular polarization is perfectly transmitted through a transparent dielectric surface, with no reflection.

So, at 56.7 degrees, the partially polarised light transmit through the glass while the completely polarised light reflects off the glass. The reflected light is polarised perpendicular to the plane of incidence, I think.

It is parallel polarized light which is completely transmitted, with no reflection at the Brewster angle.

JohnGaltis said:
Wait- so it's linearly polarised right? Since the reflected light is polarised only perpendicularly hmm.
yes, the reflected light is polarized perpendicularly to the plane of incidence.
The incident light was unpolarized, that means, it consisted of equal amount of both parallel and perpendicularly polarized light. If there is no parallel polarized component in the reflected light, only perpendicularly polarized light remains - yes, you are right, it is linearly polarized.
Now there is the angle. What does "n" mean in the formula for the Brewster angle?
If the light arrives from the glass, the reflected light also travels in the glass.

See this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polref.html

1. What is polarised light?

Polarised light is a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a specific direction. This means that the light waves are all aligned in one plane, unlike regular light which has waves oscillating in all directions.

2. How is polarised light created?

Polarised light can be created in a number of ways, including passing regular light through a polarising filter or reflecting light off a non-metallic surface at a specific angle. It can also be created by certain materials, such as crystals, that naturally polarise light.

3. What is the state of polarised light?

The state of polarised light refers to the direction in which the electric field of the light waves is oscillating. This can be either linear, circular, or elliptical polarisation, depending on the alignment of the waves.

4. What are the applications of polarised light?

Polarised light has a variety of applications in different fields, including optics, photography, and medicine. It is used in polarising filters to reduce glare and improve visibility, in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth, and in medical imaging techniques like polarised microscopy.

5. How does polarised light affect our daily lives?

Polarised light can have a significant impact on our daily lives, even though we may not always be aware of it. For example, polarised sunglasses can reduce glare and improve visual clarity, polarising filters on cameras can enhance the contrast in photos, and polarised light is used in LCD screens on electronic devices.