Online Courses and Computational Biology

In summary, the goal of the author is to pursue a master's degree in computational biology. The author is currently enlisted in the Navy and has no intention of contacting their old professors. The author plans to take online courses to potentially knock out prerequisites for a master's degree in computational biology. However, the author is open to taking courses simply to brush up on areas that will be particularly useful or suitable to their graduate studies. The author intends to use these courses to demonstrate their abilities and build rapport with their online professors. The author is unaware of any blanket standards for prerequisites that all accredited schools would accept. The author is looking for advice on how to go about finding the appropriate online courses to take and is also looking for advice on finding an
Doanage
Hi there, I have some questions about taking online courses and academics in general. I’m not sure where I can get advice about this stuff online so I’ve come here hoping the science community can help. Thanks!

Goal:
I wish to pursue a master’s degree in computational biology.

Current Education:
BS in Computer Science with a minor in mathematics.

Situation:
I’m currently enlisted in the Navy, and my term ends in August 2016. If possible, I’d like to have a school lined up for when I get out. I know I’ll need letters of recommendation from previous professors for a master’s program. However, I have no intention of contacting my old professors, because by the time I’m discharged it will have been over 5 years since I attended any of their classes. I'd think it would be rude to pester them after all this time.

My General Plan:
I’d like to take online courses to possibly knock out prerequisites for a master’s curriculum in computational biology. However, I don’t mind taking courses simply to brush up on areas that will be particularly useful or suitable to my graduate studies. I intend to use these courses to demonstrate my abilities and build rapport with my online professors, and hopefully they’ll be willing to provide letters of recommendation for me as well. Fortunately, the Navy should be willing to pay for online schooling through the Tuition Assistance program. I’d like to take as much advantage of this as I can.

Questions:
Are there blanket standards for prerequisites that all accredited schools would accept?

If not, how do I go about finding the appropriate online courses to take when I don’t know which specific schools I’ll be accepted into?

Are there academic advisors online who would advise me independently of my committing to anyone particular institution?

On a related note, does anyone know of a forum where these questions might be better suited? I can’t seem to find general forums on academic advice.

I’ve never taken online courses before. Any recommendations on how I get started?

Any recommendations on what sort of courses I should take beyond pre-reqs?

Likes Medicol
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Coursera offers a course "mathematical modeling in systems biology." It will get you started using MATLAB and introduce some topics. It's free but it won't carry any college credit. I know that's probably not what you wanted but maybe you'll find the course interesting.

That actually is helpful. I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the science community for advice on pursuing a master's degree in computational biology. I understand the importance of seeking guidance and advice from experts in the field.

To address your questions, I would first like to commend you for your proactive approach in utilizing your time in the Navy to prepare for your future academic pursuits. Taking online courses is a great way to gain knowledge and skills in the field of computational biology, and it is excellent that you are considering this option.

Regarding your first question, there are generally accepted prerequisites for most accredited schools, but it is always best to check with the specific programs you are interested in to ensure that you are meeting their requirements. Additionally, taking courses in areas that will be useful to your graduate studies, as you mentioned, can also be beneficial.

To find appropriate online courses, you can start by researching accredited universities that offer online courses in computational biology. You can also check with professional organizations in the field, such as the International Society for Computational Biology, for recommendations on reputable online courses.

There are academic advisors available online who can provide independent advice, but it is always best to consult with advisors from the specific institution you plan to attend. They will have the most up-to-date information on their program requirements and can guide you in the right direction.

As for a forum for academic advice, I would recommend checking out discussion boards or forums on websites such as GradCafe or Reddit. These platforms have a community of students and professionals who can provide valuable insights and advice.

Finally, for someone who has not taken online courses before, my recommendation would be to start with a few courses in areas that you are interested in and see how you adapt to the online learning format. This will also give you an idea of which areas you need to focus on and which courses will be most beneficial for your academic goals.

I hope this response has been helpful, and I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a master's degree in computational biology. Keep up the proactive approach, and I am confident that you will achieve your academic goals. Best of luck!

1. What is computational biology?

Computational biology is an interdisciplinary field that combines biology, computer science, and mathematics to analyze and interpret biological data. It involves the use of computational tools and techniques to understand biological processes at a molecular level.

2. What are online courses in computational biology?

Online courses in computational biology are educational programs that are offered through online platforms, allowing students to learn about computational biology at their own pace and from the comfort of their own homes. These courses typically cover topics such as bioinformatics, data analysis, and computer modeling in biology.

3. What are the benefits of taking online courses in computational biology?

Some of the benefits of taking online courses in computational biology include flexibility in terms of scheduling, the ability to learn from experts in the field, access to a wide range of resources and tools, and the opportunity to network with other professionals and students in the field.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking online courses in computational biology?

The prerequisites for taking online courses in computational biology vary depending on the specific course or program. However, a background in biology, computer science, and mathematics is typically recommended. Some courses may also require prior knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R.

5. How can I find reputable online courses in computational biology?

To find reputable online courses in computational biology, you can start by researching universities or institutions that offer these courses. You can also check for reviews and ratings from previous students, and look for any accreditations or affiliations with professional organizations in the field. Additionally, you can reach out to professionals in the field or ask for recommendations from colleagues or mentors.