Onto Homomorphisms of Rings

In summary, we need to prove that for any x in f[Z(R)], x is also in Z(R1). This can be shown by using the onto property of f and the homomorphism property of f. The size of R and R1 does not affect the proof.
missavvy

Homework Statement

f: R -> R1 is an onto ring homomorphism.
Show that f[Z(R)] ⊆ Z(R1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused. So f is onto, then for all r' belonging to R1, we have f(r)=r' for some r in R.
But if f is onto couldn't R1 has less elements than R? ie. R would have some elements which don't get mapped to those in R1?

Anyways if I were to prove this, I'd show that for some x in f(Z(R)), x also is in Z(R1). But I just don't get why it has to be in Z(R1) if there could be some elements not mapped to R1...
:S
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your confusion about the size of R and R1 is valid, but it doesn't affect the proof. Remember, an onto function means that every element in the codomain is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This means that even if R1 has less elements than R, every element in R1 is still being mapped to by at least one element in R. So we can still prove that f[Z(R)] ⊆ Z(R1) without worrying about the size of the sets.

To prove this, we need to show that for any x in f[Z(R)], x is also in Z(R1). So let x = f(r) for some r in Z(R). Then for any element r' in R1, we have f(r') = r'' for some r'' in R1 (since f is onto). Since r is in Z(R), we know that r*r' = r'*r for all r' in R. Now, we can use the homomorphism property of f to show that f(r*r') = f(r'*r). This gives us f(r)*f(r') = f(r')*f(r), which means that x*r' = r'*x for all r' in R1. Since this holds for all elements in R1, we can conclude that x is in Z(R1). Therefore, f[Z(R)] ⊆ Z(R1).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an onto homomorphism of rings?

An onto homomorphism of rings is a function between two rings R and S that preserves the ring structure and is surjective, meaning that every element in S has a corresponding element in R that maps to it. This means that the image of the function is equal to the entire range of S.

2. How is an onto homomorphism different from other ring homomorphisms?

An onto homomorphism is different from other ring homomorphisms because it must be surjective, while other ring homomorphisms do not necessarily have to be. This means that an onto homomorphism has a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two rings, while other homomorphisms may not.

3. What is the significance of onto homomorphisms in ring theory?

Onto homomorphisms are important in ring theory because they provide a way to study the structure and properties of one ring by looking at another ring. They also help to classify and compare different rings based on their structural similarities and differences.

4. Can onto homomorphisms be used to prove isomorphism between rings?

Yes, onto homomorphisms can be used to prove isomorphism between rings. If an onto homomorphism exists between two rings R and S, and the kernels of the function are trivial, then R and S are isomorphic. This means that the two rings have the same structure and properties.

5. How can onto homomorphisms be extended to other algebraic structures?

Onto homomorphisms can be extended to other algebraic structures by adapting the definition to fit the specific structure. For example, an onto homomorphism of groups would preserve the group structure and be surjective. Additionally, onto homomorphisms can be used to explore the relationship between different algebraic structures, such as rings and fields.