Opamp Output Offset: Solving for Rf in Circuit with Unknown Feedback Resistor

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Callum Plunkett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp Output
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of Rf in a circuit with known values for R1 and R2. The equation ##\frac{dV_{20}}{dI_{IO}} = R_f## is discussed and it is suggested to redraw the schematic and consider the effects of ##I_{IO}## and the grounded input. The goal is to find where ##I_{IO}## must flow and what voltages it will produce at the output.
Callum Plunkett
Homework Statement
The amplifier of FIGURE 1 has a closed loop gain of 20 dB and R1 =
10 kΩ. The resistors have a tolerance of 5%.

Estimate the output offset voltage of the circuit of FIGURE 1 when
the op-amp used is
i) op-amp A of TABLE A
ii) op-amp B of TABLE A.
Relevant Equations
See attached
I’ve been given the attached question and equation in regard to output offset. I know all the required values apart from Rf. Normally id assume Rf was the feedback resistor however that (as far as I can tell from the circuit) is marked as R2. Would I be right if I assumed this value was Rf = r1ǁr2? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 88
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so you know R1 & R2 values. Look at the equation and focus on the ##I_{IO}## effect on the output, since it is the simplest. So ##\frac{dV_{20}}{dI_{IO}} = R_f## . You can solve for the output voltage offset due just to the input offset current in terms of R1 & R2, that will tell you what RF must be. You will want to assume that the input is 0V (grounded) and that ##I_{IB}=0A## for this special case. It will help to redraw the schematic to include the ##I_{IO}## current source and the grounded input. Where must ##I_{IO}## flow? What voltages will that make, referred to the output?

DaveE said:
OK, so you know R1 & R2 values. Look at the equation and focus on the ##I_{IO}## effect on the output, since it is the simplest. So ##\frac{dV_{20}}{dI_{IO}} = R_f## . You can solve for the output voltage offset due just to the input offset current in terms of R1 & R2, that will tell you what RF must be. You will want to assume that the input is 0V (grounded) and that ##I_{IB}=0A## for this special case. It will help to redraw the schematic to include the ##I_{IO}## current source and the grounded input. Where must ##I_{IO}## flow? What voltages will that make, referred to the output?
Wonderful Thank you that's helped a lot

Likes DaveE

1. What is an opamp output offset?

An opamp output offset is a small amount of voltage that is present at the output of an operational amplifier even when there is no input signal. This can be caused by imperfections in the opamp itself or due to external factors such as temperature changes.

2. How is the output offset of an opamp calculated?

The output offset of an opamp can be calculated by multiplying the input offset voltage by the open-loop gain of the opamp. This will give you the output offset voltage.

3. What is the purpose of solving for Rf in a circuit with unknown feedback resistor?

Solving for Rf in a circuit with unknown feedback resistor allows you to determine the exact value of the feedback resistor needed to achieve a desired output voltage. This is important for designing circuits with specific voltage requirements.

4. How can Rf be calculated in a circuit with unknown feedback resistor?

Rf can be calculated by using the formula Rf = (Vout/Vin - 1) * R1, where Vout is the desired output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, and R1 is the known resistor in the feedback loop.

5. Are there any limitations to solving for Rf in a circuit with unknown feedback resistor?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when solving for Rf in a circuit with unknown feedback resistor. These include the accuracy of the opamp and the effects of temperature changes on the circuit. It is important to use high-precision components and consider temperature compensation methods to minimize these limitations.